Language Learning Strategy for B1+/B2 Japanese in Two Years

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Language Learning Strategy for B1+/B2 Japanese in Two Years

Postby Seneca » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:53 pm

Here are the resources I have:

I have some electronic resources, but missed out on Japanese Linguaphone, and I generally prefer physical resources, at least when beginning study.

While I acknowledge the need to engage with the actual culture outside of textbooks, I also recognize the monumental task that Japanese is, and I am comfortable focusing solely on study at the start for longer than I would with an "easy" language. This leaves the question of what to study with, and in what order.

First, I think I should start with the Michel Thomas Foundation course and the Hiragana & Katakana for Beginners course. This gets me speaking, teaches me the two syllabaries of kana, and some basic grammar. Decision/Advice Point: Has anyone used both levels of MT Japanese? Would it make sense to do Advanced immediately, or do it later on?

Next, I think I should set aside Reading Japanese. The introduction states that, "For the student who is just starting out in Japanese, this has been carefully coordinated with Beginning Japanese." Since I already have the Japanese for Everyone (JfE) course, I am not interested in buying another course simply so I can use this one along with it. Additionally, there are many disparaging comments around about Jorden's self-created romaji system, and it seems like it may be more trouble than it is worth to include this.

After MT and learning hiragana and katakana, I'd start working with the main JfE book with the audio, as well as the workbook. A review of the workbook makes me think it is a great addition as it can really help drive home each grammar point in a given lesson. The intro to the main text even mentions keeping romaji to a minimum and not using it at all after lesson 3. It also spends the first few lessons teaching hiragana & katakana, so I will get a good review right away of what I learned in the standalone book.

The next great challenge will be the kanji!
As far as JfE goes, it breaks down like this:
The main text teaches 477 kanji (464 Educational Kanji, 13 Everyday Use Kanji)
The JfE kanji book reviews/teaches those, 48 additional educational kanji, and one more Everyday Use Kanji, so 526 total.

My first inclination would be to use the kanji book since I already have it, to act as general review. Synergy is good, no?

Then, I have the Kodanshi courses. The reviews on Amazon linked above pretty much tell the story, so I don't think I need to here. In the same way the intro to JfE will review the kana I already saw in a different course, saving this until after I complete JfE will allow for me to review those 526 kanji I learned in a new context as well.

To summarize, for those who know or have studied Japanese, does it make sense generally to do the following in terms of coursework:
1) Michel Thomas Japanese (both levels) at the same time as learning Hiragana/Katakana while using something like Foreign Numbers when out and about.
2) Work all three Japanese for Everyone books at the same time and start introducing native materials (or at least things like listening to the NHK Japanese news daily)
3) Begin working through the Kanji Learner's Course, try to find a penpal or tutor for conversation practice, begin trying to read basic/simple Japanese, and possibly pick up the Writing Practice Book designed to go with the book I already have so my writing skills extend beyond the kana I practice in the earlier workbooks and since there seems to be a solid connection between writing and remembering.

What am I missing? Is JfE a solid enough course I don't need outside grammar help? Or will I need to look into something like A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar as a supplement? I am happy to spend what I need to set myself up for success, but have no interest in drowning in resources or buying superfluous things. If I am good to go to get started with what is listed in numbers 1-3 above, that is just fine by me!

Thanks in advance for any and all help or suggestions.

edit: Removed some personal details.
Last edited by Seneca on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Re: Language Learning Strategy for B1+/B2 Japanese in Two Years

Postby dampingwire » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:25 pm

Seneca wrote:First, I think I should start with the Michel Thomas Foundation course and the Hiragana & Katakana for Beginners course. This gets me speaking, teaches me the two syllabaries of kana, and some basic grammar. Decision/Advice Point: Has anyone used both levels of MT Japanese? Would it make sense to do Advanced immediately, or do it later on?

I used MT when I started out. Mine came from the local library. I think there were three levels back then. I went through all of it and it did get me started. Looking back though, it doesn't get you very far, so don't spend too much time going over it in great detail before moving on to something else.

Learning the kana at the outset is (imho) a good idea, especially if you want to go beyond simple "tourist Japanese".

Seneca wrote:To summarize, for those who know or have studied Japanese, does it make sense generally to do the following in terms of coursework:
1) Michel Thomas Japanese (both levels) at the same time as learning Hiragana/Katakana while using something like Foreign Numbers when out and about.
2) Work all three Japanese for Everyone books at the same time and start introducing native materials (or at least things like listening to the NHK Japanese news daily)
3) Begin working through the Kanji Learner's Course, try to find a penpal or tutor for conversation practice, begin trying to read basic/simple Japanese, and possibly pick up the Writing Practice Book designed to go with the book I already have so my writing skills extend beyond the kana I practice in the earlier workbooks and since there seems to be a solid connection between writing and remembering.

I found working through a course helped me to keep focussed. Having multiple streams going (MT, kana, a course book, youtube) is helpful too (again, imho) as that way the nuances you miss the first time you see something may get picked up when you see a slightly different explanation.

Seneca wrote:What am I missing? Is JfE a solid enough course I don't need outside grammar help? Or will I need to look into something like A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar as a supplement?

The Dictionary of Basic/Intermediate/Advanced Japanese Grammar are basically reference books. You don't work through any of them cover to cover. You would use them when you hit a grammar point like ため and you want a (reasonably) full explanation of how it works plus a few examples. Given how much good Japanese grammar information you can find on the net these days, I expect that the DOBJG would not be too useful an investment. Perhaps the Intermediate and Advanced ones might be more worthwhile as there are fewer good explanations for the more advanced points.

I can't comment on JfE as I've never used it, but given the amount of supplementary material on the net, I'd say go for it. use it as a framework and look for help when the book leaves you confused.
1 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

kujichagulia
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), Portuguese (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=858

Postby kujichagulia » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:06 am

I haven't used JfE either. Hmmm... what did I use... I'm trying to recall.

At the beginning, I used the Genki textbooks, which aren't really designed for self-study, but were comprehensive. With the workbooks and CDs, I got a lot of reading, writing, and listening practice. I also used the JapanesePod101 podcasts for more listening practice. My speaking practice was mainly repeating the dialogues in Genki and repeating stuff I heard and recognized while watching Japanese TV.

After Genki, I moved on to An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese, which is effectively a continuation of the Genki series. Halfway through that, I felt I knew enough to tackle the news articles at NHK News Web Easy (I think that's the title of that) and the fairy tales at a site called Hukumusume (which is all in Japanese). I also kept a journal to practice writing. I never did do the last lesson of An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese, because I started learning through native sources: news websites, blogs, books, etc.

Now I'm at a B1 level. It only took me 15 years - all in Japan. :lol: I actually went long periods of time without studying, and I wasn't consistent when I was studying (other than shopping and other basic tasks I need to do in Japanese society, I really don't have a pressing need to use Japanese daily). If you work at it every day and make sure you dedicate the time to it, you can reach B1 in far less time.

Like others said, learn the kana right away. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to master hiragana and katakana in a month. Use flashcards and writing practice to get those down. Knowing hiragana and katakana will help you a lot, even as a beginner. Don't worry too much about kanji; you will learn those slowly.

Other than that, I think your plan is solid.
1 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:34 pm

I recommend tae kim grammar guide and rikaichamp/yomichan (pop-up dictionaries) and the remember the kanji book (check out the koohii forums for any doubts/questions). they're all free with the exception of remember the kanji book but i guess you can just use the koohii website and not buy the book.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”