What is the fastest way to learn Russian?!

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
SoftRock
Languages: I speak Croatian(N),Serbian(N),Bosnian(N),English(Advanced knowladge)
Want to learn Russian (B2)

What is the fastest way to learn Russian?!

Postby SoftRock » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:45 pm

I nativly speak CROATIAN,SERBIAN AND BOSNIAN (Slavic languages)!
But I want to learn Russian and i do know little,i know how to read words and pronounce them but i dont know meaning.
What is the best way to learn russian,what sources should i use to learn and what would be the fastest method of learning.
I want to go to Russian soon and i really need help!!!! :shock: :?
0 x

LinguaPony
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (Proficient), Italian (Intermediate), M. Chinese (Beginner), German (Just started), Yiddish (half-cooked A1, long since forgotten, but now queued for revival)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7160

Re: What is the fastest way to learn RUSSIAN!?

Postby LinguaPony » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Vladimir Skultety says in one of his videos that he listened to Russian radio for three months, 8 hours a day, and so he learned Russian. Like you, he had the huge advantage of being a native speaker of another Slavic language (Slovak). His Russian now is very nearly perfect.
3 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: What is the fastest way to learn Russian?!

Postby luke » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:44 am

Fall in love with a Russian.
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:53 am

Kilo rakije, pa razvali!
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:18 am

IF you're certain reincarnation is fact, leave it to another lifetime, then just work out how you can be born in Russia. Shouldn't be too hard, right? :?
3 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:40 pm

SoftRock wrote:I nativly speak CROATIAN,SERBIAN AND BOSNIAN (Slavic languages)!
But I want to learn Russian and i do know little,i know how to read words and pronounce them but i dont know meaning.
What is the best way to learn russian,what sources should i use to learn and what would be the fastest method of learning.
I want to go to Russian soon and i really need help!!!! :shock: :?

Eh.... on an English-language message board the majority of posters will not have a feeling for cases, grammatical gender or Slavic verb aspect. PeterMollenburg may indeed need to plan for a strategic reincarnation to learn Russian. Luke has chosen a more pleasant path. I'll add that for speakers of Slavic languages the greatest obstacle is the low level of mutual comprehensibility. If you don't get intimidated and keep listening , you should be pleased with your progress. Here in the language log area we have an FSI graduate who regularly posts a new list of unknown, "advanced" words. You shouldn't have to break a sweat with such vocabulary. Finally, in the resources section you will find a link to Paul Nation's free book about language learning and a list of Russian resources. Good luck.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:55 am

Find a good quality coursebook with audio for Croatian/Serbian/Bosnian natives. Put in a lot of hours a day. And you are very likely to progress really fast. The course for a Croatian native is likely to skip a lot of stuff necessary for the English natives and to point out specific problems, like false friends. Plus, you should be able to add native media really soon.
3 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:38 am

Move to a Russian city (not Moscow or St. Pete) and immerse yourself. The farther east the better.
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:36 pm

Focus on differences. Like, there's no verb 'to be'.

BCMS: ja sam student.
Russian: ja stud'ent.

Then, differences in pronouns. No short pronouns, different possessives. Different verb endings, but very similar verbs.

What you don't know you can guess by similarities of from context. Many words are spelled the same or almost the same, but pronounced a bit differently. Generally the spelling is more difficult. And so on.

There's a blog on the internet 'učimo ruski' or something like it.
5 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

aquarius
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Italian, Spanish (a bit), Catalan (a bit), Polish (learning), Slovak (a bit)

Postby aquarius » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:27 pm

I think that we should not expect to much from reincarnation. I'im not an expert of this subject, but as far as I am aware, most Sriptures tell us that a 'good' reincarnation is not a gift you just have to receive or to ask for, but the result of intense work and of a long way someone has gone.

So if you are born in Russia, this might be because you've worked a lot on cases, grammatical gender and Slavic verb aspect in your previous life or in your previous lives. Maybe you have acquired such an amount of knowledge of and feeling for cases, grammatical gender or Slavic verb aspect, that all this accumulated energy one day wil materialize into in a reincarnation as a Russian.

I fear there is no way to circumvent work on Slavic grammar.

Personally, I've made the experience that it's a good way to establish links between the 'new' language I was learning, and other languages I knew yet, by finding out both similarities and differences.

Daniel N. hat yet talked about this.

When I startet to learn Polish (after having learnt a bit of Slovenian some years before), I began by comparing Slovenian and Polish declensions.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”