learning a heritage language

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
alen57
Languages: English. B2 Heritage speaker BCS (bosnian croatian serbian)

learning a heritage language

Postby alen57 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:29 pm

I grew up in the United States, but my family is from a certain Eastern European Country. We moved here around the age of 3, and we were constantly surrounded by other family members(grandparents/cousins) who all spoke the eastern European language. Because of this, at a young age (birth to kindergardenen, the eastern european language was my main tongue) Eventually English became the main spoken language in our house because I went to school and my parents learned english, we still live around a diaspora community so I have been exposed to my heritage language for most of my life. I am 22 now I recently took an ACTFL OPI exam and scored "advanced low" in my heritage language(about b2 on the CEFR scale) (this is with no formal language education in that language) and very limited use of the language in recent times.

-I want to know if anyone has similar experience with this?

-I believe that if my household begins speaking the language, i brush up on grammar using online grammar textbooks, and began speaking in the language, I can reach a high level VERY quickly

-Is it possible for me to ever pass for a native? or will i always have an "accent" no matter how long I study?

-I am going to start reading grammar books and began speaking in my heritage language, and my main question is will i ever be able to pass for a native? OR will i always have an accent
0 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Re: learning a heritage language

Postby CarlyD » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Just my experience, others may have totally different opinions.

I used to hear my grandfather speaking a German dialect (Gottscherisch) and my babysitter spoke German (my mother called it "low German" in a "they're low-class" tone of voice.)

All the words I remember from both of them--my accent is near perfect. However, every word I've learned on my own since then, my accent is terrible. Maybe if I'd heard it spoken for a lot longer, the sense of how things are pronounced would have transferred over to other words--I don't know.

All I know is that I can swear like a native--everything else is with a California accent.
2 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:05 am

Good luck. I'm sure some get more language embedded in their young minds than others. I've been working on heritage languages, both of which my parents spoke with their parents but not to me, and it has been long and slow. I think if you start studying you'll find out soon enough if there's any language stored away in your brain. I suggest, don't be afraid to start from beginner level materials, just see how it goes.
0 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:46 am

You will definitely be able to pass for a native if you put in the effort. But it won't happen quickly, and you'll have to consciously work on your speech well past the point of being "advanced."

Think about in what contexts you'd like to pass as a native. Do you want people in your diaspora community to think that you only recently left your country of birth? Do you want to go back to that country and have people assume that you never left? What benefits do you gain from these or other similar circumstances?

Culture is an enormous part of passing as a native. Let's say I study Georgian by myself in the US using the best methods possible. My grammar is flawless, I've practically memorized the literary masterworks, and my accent is honed by thousands of hours mimicking native audio. I get off the plane in Tbilisi and I don't know a thing. I don't know if I'm supposed to bargain with taxi drivers, I don't know if I should hold my fork in the left or right hand, I don't know when the holidays are - nothing. Nobody mistakes me for a native.

It will be hard work for your household to switch to a different language. There are a few forum members who have done this with success, but I'm not one of them. I've failed every time. I recommend you spend as much time as possible speaking the language in your community and reading some of the best literature it has to offer. If you'd like to work on your accent first, then this thread is a great resource.
4 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:28 am

One can achieve pass-as-native/near native accents in a heritage language learned partially in childhood but it may require some time back ‘in-country’ to capture intonations and how the local language has evolved (and everything Axon mentions with regards to culture). It’s hard and usually there remains some hint of the outsider.

But don’t let this become a barrier to recapturing your heritage language. Perfection is the enemy of good enough!!
5 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:39 pm

You probably have the potential to become near-native level very quickly.

However, you face two big obstacles:

1) Learning materials are mostly aimed at beginners, and you're unlikely to find anything that is designed for someone in your position.

2) Your own sense of identity.
Many people see their accent as almost like a "face" for their voice, and therefore want to speak their new languages with their "own accent"... which means that they never learn to speak the language well. I've seen this in people learning genuinely foreign languages, and people learning a language from their own background (Scottish people learning Gaelic).
If you can remember that your accent is not your identity, it will be a lot easier.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”