Old Catalan word translation

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
flabbergasted
White Belt

Old Catalan word translation

Postby flabbergasted » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:48 pm

How would you translate the Catalan word "nyèbit" into English? Is "rake" a good choice?
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Old Catalan word translation

Postby Iversen » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:08 am

About persons, yes - and that's the common explanation in most dictionaries - though Diccionari Invers adds "Noi que va perdut pels carrers". Rodamots has the same two meanings, and it is likely that the relatively neutral meaning "vagabond"is the original one, and that the general use about tramps - including those that don't move around - is derived from it. Though I don't have a source that directly confirms this.

But it seems that the word also is used about things. There is a discussion about it in this blogspot. For instance it seems that it is used for "tanca a pressió" around Matarò, and other uses like "una mena de botó metàl·lic, una petita tanca, per cordar dues peces d’un vestit com ara una brusa, un viso, una camisa" and "el petimetres que anaven en bicicleta i la botzina en forma de trompeta" are mentioned at Rodamots - but these uses are probably not something you would find in Ancient Catalan.
1 x

flabbergasted
White Belt

Re: Old Catalan word translation

Postby flabbergasted » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks for the extended answer. As usual, much appreciated. I think the best equivalent would combine the idea of "ne'er-do-well" and "vagabond", but I can't think of one. What I don't like about "rake" is that it doesn't have the wanderer connotation.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”