help translating a spanish phrase to english

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
sptrans
Languages: speak english, learning spanish

help translating a spanish phrase to english

Postby sptrans » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm having a hard time understanding the phrase "creo que no le me va a tocar llevar a mi esposo". It is being used in a conversation between a man and woman discussing a concert that's is going to be very far away. Thanks for any help
0 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Re: help translating a spanish phrase to english

Postby Spoonary » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Hmm, that's a strange one, and the thing is, I don't actually think it's grammatically correct. But then again, as a non-native speaker, what do I know? :roll:

Firstly, the translation I would give would be "I don't think I am going to have to take my husband (with me)."

'Me va a tocar llevar a mi esposo' translates to 'I am going to have to take my husband'.*

The thing that makes me doubt that the sentence is correct is the 'le me'. In Spanish, whenever two of these pronouns are used together, the first one becomes 'se' - 'se me'. However, even that seems excessive in this sentence, as 'me' suffices.

Perhaps a better way of writing the sentence would be 'No creo que me vaya a tocar/No creo que me toque llevar a mi esposo'.

I hope my ponderings help somewhat, and that I haven't completely missed something :?

*Both of these instances of 'I am going to' could be substituted with 'I will' of course.
2 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:41 pm

The only Google result for "le me va a tocar" (in quotes) is for this very thread.
3 x

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:38 pm

I have a feeling it should be "me le va a tocar". Not the most grammatically correct either, but leísmo is ever present in some dialects.

R.
==
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:50 pm

Hrhenry wrote:I have a feeling it should be "me le va a tocar". Not the most grammatically correct either, but leísmo is ever present in some dialects.

Aaah of course! :) So in this case the 'le' - which is, as Hrhenry rightly said, an example of leísmo and would be 'lo' in standard Spanish - is used emphatically (or simply as a redundant repetition) to refer to the husband.
0 x

aledda
Yellow Belt
Languages: Español (N)
English (C2), Português (C2)

Studying now: 日本語 (N4->N3), 한국어 (beginner)

Dabbling: Italiano (beginner), Deutsch (beginner)

On the waiting list: 普通话 (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5561

Postby aledda » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:30 pm

sptrans wrote:I'm having a hard time understanding the phrase "creo que no le me va a tocar llevar a mi esposo". It is being used in a conversation between a man and woman discussing a concert that's is going to be very far away. Thanks for any help

Even though I'm a native speaker, I find that phrase weird too. I can't think of any situation in which "le" and "me" are used together like that. It's like saying "to me to it" or "to him to me" in English.

"creo que no le me va a tocar llevar a mi esposo" -> I think I don't have to take my husband (to the concert)./I don't think I have to take my husband (to the concert).

"creo que no le me va a tocar llevar a mi esposo" -> I think (someone else mentioned before in the conversation) doesn't have to take my husband (to the concert)./I don't think (someone else mentioned before in the conversation) has to take my husband (to the concert).

"creo que a mi esposo no le me va a tocar llevarme a mi esposo" -> I think my husband doesn't have to take me (to the concert)./I don't think my husband has to take me (to the concert).
0 x
Please, feel free to correct any mistakes.

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:24 am

I'm not sure, but this looks like French

"il le lui faut emmener" which is the same as "il lui faut l'emmener"

"l'" is object of "emmener" but can also go in front to join the "lui" which, in turn, is indirect object of "faut"

----------------
in Spanish "le" belongs to "llevar" but is not found close to it, but goes right in front
BEFORE "me"

the structure looks weird because you have two verbs each having an object of its own PLUS this rule of having a pronoun in front of the verb that announces a direct object to follow after the verb
"Le llevo a mi esposo" plus "Me toca hacer algo".
No le me toca (-) llevar a mi esposo.
Now in the future tense: No le me va a tocar (-) llevar a mi esposo.
0 x

aledda
Yellow Belt
Languages: Español (N)
English (C2), Português (C2)

Studying now: 日本語 (N4->N3), 한국어 (beginner)

Dabbling: Italiano (beginner), Deutsch (beginner)

On the waiting list: 普通话 (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5561

Postby aledda » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:36 am

I spend the whole day trying to find an example of sentences with "le me" that is grammatically correct... but I couldn't...

I googled a little about the order of the pronouns in Spanish to see if I was missing something and I found this:
Gramática española: Análisis y práctica, Third Edition By Larry D. King, Margarita Suñer

So according to this, "le" can't go before "me".
As Hrhenry said the order should be "me le", but to me "creo que no me le va a tocar llevar a mi esposo" still doesn't "feel/sound" correct either...
0 x
Please, feel free to correct any mistakes.

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:03 am

Leísmo is not even used outside of some parts of Spain, and I don’t think it’s taught anywhere. So it’s no wonder it would sound wrong to native speakers everywhere else.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:44 am

I like leísmo. But I learned Spanish in Spain.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”