Shared roots of Latin and romance words <-- Table??

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
angushadow
Languages: English is my native language. I am learning a few of the romance languages, spanish being the most confident followed by french. I would like to have a better understanding of Latin to help my progress with learning the Rom languages. Also to expand my general knowledge gained from learning Latin.

Shared roots of Latin and romance words <-- Table??

Postby angushadow » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:06 pm

Hello all,
I am endeavoring to learn some Latin to help gain an understanding of its influence in modern languages.
Continuously I am seeing connections of Latin root words which frequently pop up in English and my studies of French and Spanish. So to give me a better understanding of the most commonly used Latin roots shared with the romance languages, I was hoping to find a list/table of all the most common Latin verbs with the corresponding romance verbs (infinitive form). I think this will help me make connections when learning verbs for the romance languages.
Might anyone have some suggestions where to find this kind of list containing the vulgar Latin cognates shared with the romance languages??
I really hope theres something of this sort out there - would help me tremendously!
Cheers in advance for any help :D
0 x

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Re: Shared roots of Latin and romance words <-- Table??

Postby Chung » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:00 pm

angushadow wrote:Hello all,
I am endeavoring to learn some Latin to help gain an understanding of its influence in modern languages.
Continuously I am seeing connections of Latin root words which frequently pop up in English and my studies of French and Spanish. So to give me a better understanding of the most commonly used Latin roots shared with the romance languages, I was hoping to find a list/table of all the most common Latin verbs with the corresponding romance verbs (infinitive form). I think this will help me make connections when learning verbs for the romance languages.
Might anyone have some suggestions where to find this kind of list containing the vulgar Latin cognates shared with the romance languages??
I really hope theres something of this sort out there - would help me tremendously!
Cheers in advance for any help :D

In addition to the relatively few verbs in a Swadesh list, there's a fairly long list of verbs across a few Romance languages (i.e. no Latin) here sorted by meaning (i.e. you don't always see just pan-Romance cognates), and a somewhat longer list of Latin infinitives with reflexes in Portuguese and Spanish in this dissertation. However, it looks as if it'll be up to you to do the work as no one seems to have made available for free a list of verbs in the way that you're thinking.

For an overview of the rules, check out Comparative Grammar of the Romance Languages. The section on verbs describes how the Vuglar Latin verbs evolved into their Romance reflexes including the fate of the verb endings and tenses in Vulgar Latin. You won't get a table listing dozens of verbs though, but rather enough examples and explanations to allow you to make a good guess at the corresponding Latin root for a given verb in a modern Romance language (or vice-versa).

To compile your own list using your knowledge of Spanish, you could start by looking up verbs in this etymological dictionary of Spanish and noting the ancestral form (often something from Latin) and cognates in Romance languages when givien. With enough searching you can come up with a decent list for your purposes.
3 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:17 pm

There's a Henriette Walter book that seems relevant: MINUS, LAPSUS ET MORDICUS: nous parlons tous latin (ISBN: 9782757854907 / 9782221133422)

Interview about the book.
http://www.pelerin.com/Histoire-Patrimo ... ialisation
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:16 am

There's also Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish, which is a self-teaching book that uses the cognates as a shortcut to learning Spanish.
1 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Postby Whodathunkitz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:13 am

The 'loom of language' has tables at the back for words in English, french, Spanish, Portuguese. Nouns, verbs and more.

58 pages of above in themes.

Also has same for Germanic languages like German, Swedish, Danish and Dutch alongside English.

Then another section for Greek.

I got a second hand one for £6.50 delivered. It's 70 years old.i love the introduction by the series editor. About 110 pages in so far but I keep being dragged into other things so it might be a while before I finish it.

Certainly a book of its time with regards to hopes for world peace and human development.
3 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

angushadow
Languages: English is my native language. I am learning a few of the romance languages, spanish being the most confident followed by french. I would like to have a better understanding of Latin to help my progress with learning the Rom languages. Also to expand my general knowledge gained from learning Latin.

Postby angushadow » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:31 am

Horray!

The Loom of Language is everything I was hoping to find compiled into one beautifully practical vintage Book. What a gem. Wow, whodathunkitz would of been possible to find such a book! In all sincerity, Thank you.

Certainly a book of its time with regards to hopes for world peace and human development
- Amen to that - And that is the purpose of which can be unveiled through the medium of this Great Book.

Also the Swadesh list provides the perfect source of practical everyday-use words in all languages for further improving vocabulary. Cheers for that Chung.

I am grateful,

Bless
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:41 pm

I recommend "Spanish vocabulary: an etymological approach". It compares Spanish to other major Romance languages too.

Note that the Swadesh lists are made by linguists for linguists. Some words on the list may be archaic or less common. It's not an actual frequency list.
3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

DangerDave2010
Orange Belt
Languages: gibberish (N)

Postby DangerDave2010 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:46 pm

Not what OP wanted, but cool anyway:

An Etymological Dictionary of Persian, English and other Indo-European Languages

https://archive.org/details/AnEtymologi ... nLanguages
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”