Application for language listening

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Application for language listening

Postby rdearman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:45 pm

Have you tries WorkAudioBook? Don't know if there is an apple version.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:48 pm

rdearman wrote:Have you tries WorkAudioBook? Don't know if there is an apple version.

I have a Chromebook, so doesn't look like it'll work.
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

teapot
White Belt
Languages: British English (N), Italian (Principiante)

Postby teapot » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:47 am

IronMike wrote:… I'm looking for an app in which I can open a sound file (podcasts, mostly) and manipulate the audio. I want to be able to do things like set the audio on a repeat of a duration I choose, or pick the start and stop points in the audio, play it normal speed, or any other speed, again of my choosing.

Apple app would be better than Android right now, but would love to here about apps for both/either platform. …

I’ve never tried them for language learning, but you might consider trying apps designed to help musicians transcribe music from audio to notation such as Transcribe! And Anytune. They use clever algorithms to preserve pitch as the audio is slowed down and have extensive facilities to bookmark sections of audio for repeat playback at various speeds as you describe. I suggest them because the pitch preservation may yield superior quality at lower speeds and are designed to make intensive repetition easy. Obviously the pitch/chord recognition and rhythm features won’t be of interest, but the rest should work well.

They both have free or trial versions, and Anytune has an iOS version. I use both for their intended purpose and they are solid as a rock.
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:51 pm

teapot wrote:
IronMike wrote:… I'm looking for an app in which I can open a sound file (podcasts, mostly) and manipulate the audio. I want to be able to do things like set the audio on a repeat of a duration I choose, or pick the start and stop points in the audio, play it normal speed, or any other speed, again of my choosing.

Apple app would be better than Android right now, but would love to here about apps for both/either platform. …

I’ve never tried them for language learning, but you might consider trying apps designed to help musicians transcribe music from audio to notation such as Transcribe! And Anytune. They use clever algorithms to preserve pitch as the audio is slowed down and have extensive facilities to bookmark sections of audio for repeat playback at various speeds as you describe. I suggest them because the pitch preservation may yield superior quality at lower speeds and are designed to make intensive repetition easy. Obviously the pitch/chord recognition and rhythm features won’t be of interest, but the rest should work well.

They both have free or trial versions, and Anytune has an iOS version. I use both for their intended purpose and they are solid as a rock.

Thanks! That initial post requesting the name of an app is now two years old. I like Speater. I reinvigorated this thread because I'm now looking for one I can use on my Chromebook. So far I like TwistedWave enough to pay them for it. ;)
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

teapot
White Belt
Languages: British English (N), Italian (Principiante)

Postby teapot » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:23 pm

Ah, sorry about that. I’m just getting used to this forum. Unfortunately, I can’t help you with Chromebook stuff. :D
2 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:19 am

For some reason I cannot find Speater in App Store... and WorkAudioBook is still available for Windows only. Any new Mac alternatives?

I checked WorkAudioBook on Android and it looks great. I wish it would be possible to cut relevant audio segment from audio books to make a playlist for repetition.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:10 am

einzelne wrote:For some reason I cannot find Speater in App Store... and WorkAudioBook is still available for Windows only. Any new Mac alternatives?

I checked WorkAudioBook on Android and it looks great. I wish it would be possible to cut relevant audio segment from audio books to make a playlist for repetition.

You can use audacity for that.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:19 am

rdearman wrote:Have you tries WorkAudioBook? Don't know if there is an apple version.

no.
I knew librivox but these days "youtube" and "youku" seems like way more modern to me.
I have generally preferred and / or will be preferring to listen on what I interest to. :)
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:32 am

jimmy wrote:

no.
I knew librivox but these days "youtube" and "youku" seems like way more modern to me.
I have generally preferred and / or will be preferring to listen on what I interest to. :)

Workaudiobook is just software for listening to MP3s and repeat sections. It doesn't matter what the content is. You can listen to music if you want.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:35 am

rdearman wrote:
jimmy wrote:

no.

Workaudiobook is just software for listening to MP3s and repeat sections. It doesn't matter what the content is. You can listen to music if you want.

ok. Have you developed this application by your own?
I should nevertheless congratulate you if it is so, even if it comes to me a bit boring.
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”