Is it a good idea to learn one foreign language and then use that language as the base when learning another language?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jacobe
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Italian (beginner)

Is it a good idea to learn one foreign language and then use that language as the base when learning another language?

Postby jacobe » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:02 am

For example, learning Spanish using Assimil with English as the base language, and then, after finishing the Assimil course, learning Russian using Assimil with Spanish as the base language? I'm thinking this might be a good way to revise/reinforce my Spanish while also learning Russian? Or would it be better to just learn Russian using the Assimil course for English speakers?

The reason I ask is that I'm learning Spanish using Assimil in preparation for a trip to Spain, but after this I want to learn Russian. I don't want to forget the Spanish I learn from Assimil / travel so I was thinking it might be a good idea to use it as the base language when learning Russian with Assimil. Anyway, what do you guys think? Has anyone tried this?
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: Is it a good idea to learn one foreign language and then use that language as the base when learning another languag

Postby Systematiker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:29 am

This is a perfectly good idea, and it is often called "laddering". I've done quite a bit with it, and continue to do so.
4 x

Loriot
Languages: Ukrainian (N), Russian (N)
English (studies), German (studies), French (studies)

Re: Is it a good idea to learn one foreign language and then use that language as the base when learning another languag

Postby Loriot » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:38 am

I am doing now Assimil Using French (French and English), Assimil Perfectionnement Allemand (French and German) and Assimil Spanish ohne Mühe (Spanish and German).
I find this method equally useful for learning both the target language and the language of the course.
2 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:39 am

You may want to check out this thread which basically discusses the same question:

Which language to use as base, when learning a new language.
3 x
Ich grolle nicht

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:46 am

Ogrim wrote:You may want to check out this thread which basically discusses the same question:

Which language to use as base, when learning a new language.

Like that other thread points out - it can have some inefficiencies and it depends on your mastery of your L2 to learn the L3.

But you can certainly start that way and switch back to your L1 if you find it more difficult.
Go for it!
5 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”