Methods For Language Learning

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
o estudante
Languages: English, Portuguese

Methods For Language Learning

Postby o estudante » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:46 am

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, but languages -and by extension dialects - have fascinated me for years. On the more technical side of things, are there methods for language learning? Ways to streamline the language learning process, just like how the IPA makes it easier? I apologize for not being real familiar with this side of language learning, but I would greatly appreciate any advice.
0 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Re: Methods For Language Learning

Postby Decidida » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:30 am

I am just a raw new beginner with Spanish, but have a solid background in self-education. No matter what I am studying, I realize that some methods work better at different stages. What might work best when you still don't have a clue about phonics and pronunciation yet, might not be the best method just 2 weeks later when you do have a basic idea of the phonics system.

Right now, I am most happy with the Michel Thomas iphone app and the Memrise lessons created to supplement the Michel Thomas method. But I think it was better that I started with some other things.

For example, one of my favorite early resources was Getting Started with Spanish. The eBook is only $10.00 and the audiofiles are free.
https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started- ... B006JH3UT6
http://www.gettingstartedwithspanish.com/downloads.html

So far, I think I tend to learn fastest with one core curriculum, 2 main supplements, and 2 immersion/fun things.

Good luck!
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 am

It’s such a broad question that it’s a little hard to know how to answer. There are so many different methods and most of us use different methods at different times depending on what language we are studying and what level we are at. The wiki might give you an overview on some of the techniques employed by various members. You might also find this thread interesting.
4 x

Saudalmansour
White Belt
Languages: I speak Arabic. I study English

Postby Saudalmansour » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:49 pm

I use learning with texts tool (lwt) it works good for me
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”