Sub-Chapter Numberings in Japanese

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Sub-Chapter Numberings in Japanese

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:06 pm

Hi, sorry for asking a silly question. In English we list sub-chapters in a book with the capital letters A, B, C, and so on. In any Arabic lesson books I knew, they are replaced with the letter "alif", "ba'", and "jim" (actually, the third letter is "ta'", but "jim" sounds closer to "ch"). So, what I am asking is, do the Japanese books use "a", "ba", "ta" (closer to c sound), or "a", "i", "u", or "a", "ka", "sa"?
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Samer
White Belt
Languages: Arabic (N), English (C1-C2), Japanese (beginner)

Re: Sub-Chapter Numberings in Japanese

Postby Samer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:53 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:In any Arabic lesson books I knew, they are replaced with the letter "alif", "ba'", and "jim" (actually, the third letter is "ta'", but "jim" sounds closer to "ch").

Hello, Salam!

Unfortunately I am unable to answer your question, because I haven't read any Japanese books yet, but I wanted to explain something about using "alif", "ba'", "jim", "dal" and so on in Arabic.
This is because Arabic has two systems of ordering letters. One is the "alif", "ba'", "ta'" and that is known as الترتيب الهجائي.
The other goes:
أبجد هوز حطي كلمن سعفص قرشت ثخذ ضظغ. This is called الترتيب الأبجدي. So it has nothing to do with "jim" sounding closer to "ch".

Good luck!
1 x
Corrections welcome!

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:46 pm

Samer wrote:The other goes:
أبجد هوز حطي كلمن سعفص قرشت ثخذ ضظغ. This is called الترتيب الأبجدي. So it has nothing to do with "jim" sounding closer to "ch".

Good luck!

Salam, too!
Wow, I didn't know that. I know the books use "dal" as the fourth sub-chapter (which I thought was because it is the Arabic equivalent of D) and "ha'" as the fifth sub-chapter (which I thought because its shape is similar to the number 5 in Arabic), but I didn't know that it wasn't actually the case. So, would you mean giving me an order list of this system?
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:41 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote: ... In English we list sub-chapters in a book with the capital letters A, B, C, and so on ...
I merely wish to point out that actual practice in English publications varies considerably. There are hundreds of books on "elements of style" that treat the question of "vertical lists" and many of them contradict one another. In addition, publishers, professional orders, academic organisations, governments at just about every level, the military, as well as numerous other institutions, often issue their own, particular directives on the matter. In my experience, I would say that "anything goes" as long as the process is internally consistent and clear to the reader.
1 x

Aozora
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17971

Postby Aozora » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:04 pm

As far as I've seen, in Japanese they use 1, 2, 3 etc and ア イ ウ エ オ for sub-sections in non-fiction. There's no way Japanese would use a, ba, ta. If they use A, B, C, the pronunciation would be エー ビー シー to mimic the English pronunciation.
1 x
Super Challenge Books: 14 / 100
Super Challenge Films: 63 / 100

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Aozora wrote:As far as I've seen, in Japanese they use 1, 2, 3 etc and ア イ ウ エ オ for sub-sections in non-fiction. There's no way Japanese would use a, ba, ta. If they use A, B, C, the pronunciation would be エー ビー シー to mimic the English pronunciation.

Arigatou gozaimasu. After the letter "o", do they use "ka"?
0 x

Aozora
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17971

Postby Aozora » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:00 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Aozora wrote:As far as I've seen, in Japanese they use 1, 2, 3 etc and ア イ ウ エ オ for sub-sections in non-fiction. There's no way Japanese would use a, ba, ta. If they use A, B, C, the pronunciation would be エー ビー シー to mimic the English pronunciation.

Arigatou gozaimasu. After the letter "o", do they use "ka"?

I think so, but I'm not completely sure there.
0 x
Super Challenge Books: 14 / 100
Super Challenge Films: 63 / 100

Samer
White Belt
Languages: Arabic (N), English (C1-C2), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Samer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:

Good luck!

Salam, too!
Wow, I didn't know that. I know the books use "dal" as the fourth sub-chapter (which I thought was because it is the Arabic equivalent of D) and "ha'" as the fifth sub-chapter (which I thought because its shape is similar to the number 5 in Arabic), but I didn't know that it wasn't actually the case. So, would you mean giving me an order list of this system?

Sure. It is usually grouped in words as I mentioned earlier, but as individual letters it goes (from right to left):
أ - ب - ج - د - هـ - و - ز - ح - ط - ي - ك - ل - م - ن - س - ع - ف - ص - ق - ر - ش - ت - ث - خ - ذ - ض - ظ - غ.

BTW, vitamins are often named in Arabic according to this order, which gives us فيتامين هـ as the equivalent to Vitamin E. :)
1 x
Corrections welcome!

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Samer wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:

Good luck!

Salam, too!

Sure. It is usually grouped in words as I mentioned earlier, but as individual letters it goes (from right to left):
أ - ب - ج - د - هـ - و - ز - ح - ط - ي - ك - ل - م - ن - س - ع - ف - ص - ق - ر - ش - ت - ث - خ - ذ - ض - ظ - غ.

BTW, vitamins are often named in Arabic according to this order, which gives us فيتامين هـ as the equivalent to Vitamin E. :)

Thank you, though seeing that list actually makes me go back to my initial opinion that the order is partially influenced by the Latin alphabet. I mean, look at the K-L-M-N and Q-R-S-T letters in the exact same order.
0 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:Thank you, though seeing that list actually makes me go back to my initial opinion that the order is partially influenced by the Latin alphabet. I mean, look at the K-L-M-N and Q-R-S-T letters in the exact same order.

The similarities in the orders aren't due to the Latin alphabet having influenced the Arabic one (or vice versa), but due to them both having descended from the Phoenician alphabet.
3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”