Kanji: recognition vs writing (What should I do?)

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
RubiksKid
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (3,000 - 5,000 words), Japanese (~2,500 words), French (~3,000 words), Chinese (complete beginner, >100 words)

Kanji: recognition vs writing (What should I do?)

Postby RubiksKid » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:30 pm

I’ve recently started learning the jouyou kanji, but I’m unsure whether to try to learn to write the characters or just recognize them. I’ve spent some time thinking about this, and it seems to me that actually writing the kanji (by hand) may be an anachronistic skill. The only time I write in English, for instance, is when I’m typing on my computer. Doing this in Japanese, I would just have to select which kanji to use from a list generated from the kana. I also considered that even if I did know how to write all the characters by hand, to actually write Japanese I would also have to know the okurigana. So it seems to me that the decision is between either recognizing the kanji or learning to write them all + the necessary okurigana, which seems pretty difficult.

Anyway, I’m leaning towards just focusing on recognition, but I was curious if anybody could make a case as for why learning to write the kanji + okurigana would be worth the additional effort. I can currently write all the kana + about 70% of the kanji that I’ve learned so far (which is a bit over 200).
0 x

Kazumi
White Belt
Languages: 日本語(Heritage), Português(N)
English, Español
Русский, 한국어, 中文, 한국어, Deutsch
հայերէն, ქართული, eesti keel, suomen kieli, lietuvių, latviešu
Read-only: Galego, Asturllionés (Asturianu, llionés, Mirandés), Ænglisc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=928

Re: Kanji: recognition vs writing (What should I do?)

Postby Kazumi » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:31 am

RubiksKid wrote:I’ve recently started learning the jouyou kanji, but I’m unsure whether to try to learn to write the characters or just recognize them.

In short, only you can decide upon learning to write the characters or just recognizing them.

I learned how to recognize kanji primarily because of my curiosity and because I simply found them beautiful and interesting. It just gave me an extra motivation to keep learning and learning more at an early age, compared to my mates. Of course, at long term, learning kanji would be a matter of survival in the situation I was/am living in. However, our contexts may differ significantly, as I’m not answering from a similar perspective (learning Japanese as a L2). But still, learning the handwriting of few dozen characters will help you understand more how it works. Is it strictly necessary? Of course, not, and there isn't any problem with that.

As for me, as curious I've always been, the knowledge of the strokes, the radicals, the phonetic and the "semantic" concepts, the discipline that it requires, the difficulties that may arise and so on played an important role in my childhood and when I grown up. Let's take a look at one simple example. What the characters bellow have in common? They all have the same phonetic component. I just typed 「セイ」out of blue and picked up some with the same phonetic component.

静、精、清、晴、青、情、靖、静。

It helps you to get some clue on the readings of some characters if you learn that there are some patterns. It has helped me to learn Chinese as well, though the tones will differ, but still, you get some clue on its pronunciation. Of course, I learned the compound characters, instead of learning it individually.

Another thing that I should point out is that calligraphy plays an important role in many places around the world. It is no different in the East Asian cultures. If you dig deep into the calligraphy studies, you will learn more about the world calligraphy history, how it influenced their societies. More specifically to the art or writing of high aesthetic value itself, you will learn more about the different techniques and styles from different periods. The Chinese calligraphy has had many influences in Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese and even Mongolian styles to some extent, especially the former two. Many Japanese and Korean ink and painting (墨絵 sumie or 水墨画 suibokuga and the Korean 수묵화 sumukhwa) related works I've seen so far, they were highly influenced by Chinese style.

It was through Japanese calligraphy that I got much more interested in Korean, Mandarin (and its early forms), Mongolian, Thai, Nepalese, Sanskrit, Pali, Persian, Arabic and other languages. I wanted to learn more about the calligraphy influences in other places around the world, such as India, Tibet, Thailand, Nepal, Iran (Persia) and in the Islamic World.

So, as you can see, I'm into holistic approach and I see many things linked to each other. Because of handwriting, I could understand a bit of many works I've seen in museums, temples, shrines and other places in Japan. It helped me read about what my ancestors wrote as well.

RubiksKid wrote:(...)it seems to me that actually writing the kanji (by hand) may be an anachronistic skill.

The problem is when you have time constraints, as most of us do, and if learning to write characters by hand is done at the detriment of other aspects of the language. My priority regarding some languages is speaking; for some others reading is enough; for some, I prefer speaking and reading; for others I need to understand both spoken and written varieties; for some others I need an overall skills at an advanced level (C1).

RubiksKid wrote: (...)it seems to me that the decision is between either recognizing the kanji or learning to write them all + the necessary okurigana, which seems pretty difficult.

Since young, I’ve heard that handwriting is the key to memorize the characters. I was told that writing makes you train the “muscle memory”. The Asian way I was taught can be compared to the fingerprint identity sensor on my IPhone. As your device recognize your fingerprint, it will unlock the screen, right? Similarly, after years of practice, your hands are supposed to trace them, even if your brain cannot remember their shape properly. Your hand just goes automatically. If you want to keep learning through this way, it will require lot of regular dedication. If it works for you, then why not?

However, the writing way above didn’t work for me. As a child, I have to be honest that I rebelled against my mother and I told her that I would learn how to read and recognize, but not write…I end up learning the 教育漢字 (Kyōiku kanji, the mandatory 1006 kanji one should learn at Japanese sixth year primary school) by the age of 8. When I was in middle school (10 years old, I think) I learned how to read 2800 characters and memorized everything through my photographic memory. It simply works pretty well for me. This would be one option for you if you only need to recognize characters. I committed myself to learn through my real memory, so that my brain can recall how to read them. Since you said you are leaning towards the recognition, then, why not continue with it?

Giving your situation, in my opinion, priority should be given to reading over writing, if we consider only these two skills. You seem not to need to write in your daily life, at least for your short term goals. But you can learn without separating okurigana from the reading of the characters themselves.

Just find out a technique or a method that suits your learning style.
7 x
If you've got any constructive criticism, you're always welcome.

Русский: 02 / 10
한국어: 64 / 100
中文: 2 / 6
Deutsch: 87 / 100

հայերէն: 01 / 100
ქართული: 01 / 100
suomen kieli: 01 / 100
eesti keel: 02 / 54
lietuvių: 01 / 100
latviešu: 01 / 100

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:40 am

0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

RubiksKid
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (3,000 - 5,000 words), Japanese (~2,500 words), French (~3,000 words), Chinese (complete beginner, >100 words)

Postby RubiksKid » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Kazumi wrote: The problem is when you have time constraints, as most of us do, and if learning to write characters by hand is done at the detriment of other aspects of the language. My priority regarding some languages is speaking; for some others reading is enough; for some, I prefer speaking and reading; for others I need to understand both spoken and written varieties; for some others I need an overall skills at an advanced level (C1).

I have a lot of time constraints unfortunately. I'm majoring in chemical engineering + a minor in mathematics, I work five days a week, and I'm trying to maintain the piano and Spanish. Time is one thing I lack.

Kazumi wrote: Since young, I’ve heard that handwriting is the key to memorize the characters. I was told that writing makes you train the “muscle memory”. The Asian way I was taught can be compared to the fingerprint identity sensor on my IPhone. As your device recognize your fingerprint, it will unlock the screen, right? Similarly, after years of practice, your hands are supposed to trace them, even if your brain cannot remember their shape properly. Your hand just goes automatically. If you want to keep learning through this way, it will require lot of regular dedication. If it works for you, then why not?

I've heard of this approach, but I don't think it's a viable option for me considering my time constraints.

Kazumi wrote: Giving your situation, in my opinion, priority should be given to reading over writing, if we consider only these two skills. You seem not to need to write in your daily life, at least for your short term goals. But you can learn without separating okurigana from the reading of the characters themselves.

I guess I won't rule out learning how to write all the kanji, but I do have to be careful to identify priorities (in this case, reading over writing). I imagine, also, that going from recognition to writing probably wouldn't be too much of a leap if I decide to go that route sometime in the future.

Thanks a lot Kazumi for taking the time to give me all that information. It helps, and I appreciate it. :)
0 x

ilmari
Orange Belt
Languages: Fluent - French (N), English, Hebrew, Japanese.
Intermediate - Korean, Finnish, Spanish, Russian.
Studying (now) - Russian, Spanish
Dabbling - Italian, Polish, Yiddish, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Urdu, Indonesian, Māori, Latin, Esperanto, Swahili
Would love to study - Norwegian, Swedish, Ancient Greek, and so many more.

Postby ilmari » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:56 am

Any serious study of kanji needs a lot of writing practice, even if eventually, in real life, you will not write a lot. This is what all Japanese kids go through, and what all of us who managed to reach a decent level in Japanese (i.e. being able to read, more or less fluently, modern and contemporary material) did. This is how you accustom your brain to this very complex writing system.

Of course, if your objective is just to manage, to read street and transportation signs and restaurant menus, you don't need to do all that. Just a bit of passive recognition would do. Which is also perfectly fine.
1 x

Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
Languages: PL (rusting Native)
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
日本語 (Beginner, not studying)
台語 (Dabbling)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1164

Postby Ezy Ryder » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:19 am

ilmari wrote:Any serious study of kanji needs a lot of writing practice, even if eventually, in real life, you will not write a lot.

What makes you think so?
ilmari wrote:This is what all Japanese kids go through [...]

My best guess is that's it's just one of those set-in-its-ways, "don't work smart, work hard!" systems. I understand it's tempting to assume the people you most associate with something would be the best at it... but it's not always the case.
ilmari wrote:[...], and what all of us who managed to reach a decent level in Japanese (i.e. being able to read, more or less fluently, modern and contemporary material) did.

As above.
ilmari wrote:This is how you accustom your brain to this very complex writing system.

Could you explain your reasoning behind this assertion?
ilmari wrote:Of course, if your objective is just to manage, to read street and transportation signs and restaurant menus, you don't need to do all that. Just a bit of passive recognition would do. Which is also perfectly fine.

It's evident developing receptive recall works. And I think it stands to reason that being able to spend on it the time you'd otherwise be spending on developing productive recall could only make it more efficient. So, why do you assume focusing on receptive recall can't get one beyond the touristy level you described?

IIRC, when studying Japanese, I'd focus on reading, I wouldn't spend much effort on learning to write. And I think I learnt to read about 8-11k words, and 2,500 漢字, by the time I decided Mandarin would be a better language for me to study.
I focused on writing characters (Traditional), learnt to write about 3,750 漢字 by hand (though I've been changing the way I study them, so I'll have to relearn some). And frankly, I don't find handwriting to help all that much in learning. I found reviewing writing but not reading I ended up remembering how to write, but not read some characters; I realised learning to write is not just about being able to write characters, but also remembering which characters to write.
Though, personally, I wouldn't give up learning to write. I'm proud of having learnt to write so many characters (though I know it's still not quite enough for me), and they're just so pretty!

TL;DR OP, I don't think you'll find postponing learning to write by hand till later/never to affect your study much.
0 x
阿波
: 1250 / 1000010k SRS Challenge :
: 3750 / 48084,808 漢字 (handwriting) :

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:04 pm

RubiksKid wrote:I’ve recently started learning the jouyou kanji, but I’m unsure whether to try to learn to write the characters or just recognize them. I’ve spent some time thinking about this, and it seems to me that actually writing the kanji (by hand) may be an anachronistic skill.

I used Kanji Koohii, which is based on the Heisig method. I found the mechanical act of writing out each kanji helped me to learn the various strokes. It also made it harder to cheat: it's easy for me to decide that the missing stroke was actually there when I waved my hand in the air but much harder to kid myself when the kanji is in front of my in my own handwriting.

So, yes, it's anachronistic, but it was helpful for me.
4 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

RubiksKid
White Belt

Postby RubiksKid » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:48 pm

I've been using the Heisig method in addition to an Anki deck built around recognition. One thing I think I'll try is reversing the order in the deck to go from key word to character and see how much additional effort this takes. If the additional effort is acceptable, I'll just continue like this.
0 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:06 pm

RubiksKid wrote:I was curious if anybody could make a case as for why learning to write the kanji + okurigana would be worth the additional effort.

I haven't seen any actual studies, but I've always heard that learning to write Kanji is a long shortcut for recognition/reading. I believe it's in the order of hundreds of hours, which would make a pretty strong case.
ilmari wrote:if your objective is just to manage, to read street and transportation signs and restaurant menus, you don't need to do all that. Just a bit of passive recognition would do.

There are a lot of low frequency kanji in signs and menus, so unless you focus on them specifically I would say you need more than a bit of passive recognition.
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

DangerDave2010
Orange Belt
Languages: gibberish (N)

Postby DangerDave2010 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:28 pm

You should probably write for now. When you get more advanced you can drop it.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”