What is the general method people us to learn Slavic languages?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Dtmont
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(n) Portuguese/Galician(around intermediate). In reading: Old English,Dutch,Affrkikaans

What is the general method people us to learn Slavic languages?

Postby Dtmont » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:43 pm

So Slavic languages confuse me quite a bit. How does someone who speaks a language that does not have cases go about learning one that does. If someone has experience with languages like this it would be great to know the method.
0 x

basica
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Serbian (A2ish)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?&t=7335

Re: What is the general method people us to learn Slavic languages?

Postby basica » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:05 pm

You just start learning the language and deal with the complexities as time goes on. Some people want to understand how a language works in details before they start learning vocabulary (I am a bit like that), but you can only do that so much with languages as complex as Serbian.

I can't recall off the top of my head my exact approach, but I do recall focusing on first recognizing the 3 genders and making sure I constructed sentences where the adjectives and nouns agreed (moja omiljena boja je crvena, moj crni pas je sretan, svidja mi se hladno vreme i itd). I then focused on the changes from singular and plural, and then on the changes (or lack thereof) in the accusative (I have a car, I eat fruit, etc). Finally I started learning about changes due to prepositions (kod changes the word to the genitive case, o to the locative and so on).

It's definitely not easy (I often make mistakes), but it sorta clicks after a while so it doesn't seem so crazy as it did in the beginning. I think the biggest hurdle was the accusative case. Once I started understanding that, and recognizing where I needed it, the other cases didn't seem so crazy.
4 x
Glossika Fluency 1: 16 / 104

Learning or already speak Bosnian, Croatian or Serbian? Join us here! :)

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:13 pm

We die of anxiety.

Or we learn about what cases are and start to apply it.
4 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:20 pm

I had multiple full-time tutors :P Or more like conversation partners mostly.
Sorry, found the title jarring :shock: We're people too. :lol:

I also did LR, and my impression is that it also works well for those who don't already speak a Slavic language.

You should also check out Radioclare's log :)
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:32 pm

You might try interlinear/bi-directional translation for a while with content that you are familiar with in your mother tongue. Accompanied by audio.
This is a Lithuanian example of the interlinear method:
https://interlinearbooks.com/lithuanian/

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =17&t=6663
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Dtmont wrote:So Slavic languages confuse me quite a bit. How does someone who speaks a language that does not have cases go about learning one that does...

Cases, Schmases!
Whichever new language you choose to learn, there will always be matters of its grammar that seem, initially at least, to be more challenging and vexing than others. For native speakers of English, cases represent one such obstacle. Actually, because cases loom so large in Slavic languages and because they simply cannot be avoided, learning them is simply a matter of study, practice, and contact. Here are my specific suggestions for learning cases in Slavic languages ... please be patient while I pontificate.

Grammar in Home-Study Language Courses
For a number of fairly sound reasons, grammar is often treated very lightly in Beginners’ Level home-study language courses. Typically, authors will present the target language through a succession of short dialogues accompanied by a few short exercises. Often, the dialogues will have been conceived so as to illustrate one or two points of basic grammar. These points are often (deliberately) described in a cursory and incomplete manner. Although authors are aware that some confusion might arise, they do not wish to distract the reader by the presentation of lengthy and fastidious discussions of matters which most students do not want to know and which would only interrupt the forward momentum of the lesson plan. Even in classroom-oriented language courses, the study of grammar is often addressed only at the Intermediate Level and as a specialty course at that. As a result, a serious independent learner, having a particularly deep psychological need to “understand the rules” before lacing his skates and stepping onto the ice, will experience a certain amount of confusion and frustration. Solution? Buy a simple grammar, become familiar with its contents and, when in doubt, consult it for clarification.

Buy a Simple Grammar
Purchase a “simple” grammar of the language which you wish to learn. I would abstain from acquiring an elaborate/advanced grammar before entering the Intermediate Level of language study. In my opinion, in more elaborate grammars, the examples used to illustrate a point of grammar: (1) involve complex sentences which are simply too challenging for the beginner, (2) use vocabulary well beyond the Beginner’s level, causing him to divert his attention to a dictionary where he will be confronted with multiple meanings of a word which might not even clarify the situation for him, particularly in cases where relatively common idiomatic expressions have been used in the example, and (3) contain other elements of grammar which are not readily apparent to the beginner, but which are essential to his understanding of the example and the rule of grammar presently under discussion. Consulting an elaborate/advanced grammar before one is truly ready to do so can have the paradoxical effect of confusing rather than illuminating the beginner.

Become Familiar With The Grammar’s Contents
Become familiar with the grammar’s contents. Take note of how the information is arranged: the table of contents, the chapters, the annexes, the index. Where are the sections on verb conjugations, prepositions, cases, determiners, adjectives, adverbs, numbers and counting, et cetera located? Bear in mind that “become familiar with” the contents does not mean “read thoroughly” or “memorize”.

Become Familiar With Some Basic Concepts
Become familiar with (a) the basic rules of conjugating Present Tense Indicative Regular Verbs and the specific verbs To Be and To Have, (b) the basic personal pronouns, (c) the basic determiners, (d) the genders, (e) the case system. Again, “become familiar with” means only developing a “general idea” of matters which will be presented in whichever language materials you choose to work with.

When In Doubt, Consult The Simple Grammar
As you move forward through the lesson plan of your chosen language materials, and as you encounter items that you find lack clarity, consult the appropriate section of the simple grammar. Your goal is not to seek a deep understanding of every possible nuance of a point of grammar, nor is it to expand your vocabulary; your goal is simply to develop a “better idea” of the point of grammar in question. Practicing the language will provide a more solid basis for future progress. Practicing sentence-pattern exercises which illustrate particular points of grammar can be helpful; however, this type of practice, too, has its limits.

Don’t Put Ketchup on Your Vegetables!
Once you have consulted the simple grammar, put it aside and return to your regular course of studies. DO NOT seek a deeper understanding of the grammatical point in question through the consultation of a more elaborate grammar (see above). “When in doubt, consult the grammar” does NOT mean memorizing its contents. At the Beginners’ Stage, use your grammar as you would a condiment.

EDITED:
Typos
Last edited by Speakeasy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:26 am

1. Be very patient.
2. Easy on grammar.
3. Listening and pronunciation
4. More listening
5. More listening spiced with Italki tutors

That worked for me coming from Spanish and English. I found that listening comprehension is the toughest area to crack. The cases will fall on their own but polish words like "pszczoły" scare to death.
3 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:17 am

Learn the cases one by one and do a lot of exercices and repetitions.
There is no special method, usually (at least for russian) the textbooks present the cases one by one and then progressively mix them, so you just have to be motivated and follow the progression of the textbook until the end.
Use the audio to help you: repeat a lot what you hear until that become automatic.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:39 pm

I wonder why are the cases taken for the most horrible and specific thing about slavic languages.
1.I actually think there are worse things for English natives, such as pronunciation (this is often a huge problem, much worse than any grammar), the general structure of a sentence, or vocabulary. This is based on my observation of various non native Czech speakers.
2.Cases are not just in Slavic languages. But it seems the Latin or German ones don't bother the English natives that much. And why should declinations be taken for such a problem, if we take conjugations (such a huge topic in the romance languages) for a normal challenge.

General methods: the same as for other languages. Coursebooks with audio, grammar books and exercises, tutors or other speaking opportunities, lots of practice, lots of input, immersion stays, and so on.

These methods work, I've met people with high level of Czech (I cannot speak much for other slavic languages) who were natives of Ukrainian, Russian, Arabic, Spanish, French, English, Italian, Vietnamese, Moldovan, Albanian. So it is really nothing impossible no matter the native language.

Some methods for learning cases, based on my experience with Latin and German:
1.Use the conjugation tables as an overview, observe the models. Don't avoid them unnecessarily. Even if you are learning just a part of the table now, to keep a sort of bigger picture and avoid learning mistakes by making wrong assumptions.
2.Tons of examples help a lot. Preferably a few examples to memorise (funny ones are usually easier), and lots and lots to encounter during the learning journey. Extensive reading and listening is great for this, if you get far enough to start with it. But even a basic coursebook should include plenty such examples.
3.If things don't stick much, SRS the model words, irregular words, or any other that don't stick.
4.Lots of grammar exercises. Filling the gaps exercises have a bad name due to overuse in language classes in schools, but they have their place here, you just shouldn't make them your only choice. Translation exercises are awesome. Substitution drills serve well. All these are good steps to more complex tasks, like writing or speaking, and will help you automatise the cases.

5.Don't panic. You have time to improve and will, with exposure and practice. A native speaker won't bite you for using a wrong case or preposition. It is absolutely normal to be confused and unsure about them for some time.
7 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Dtmont wrote:How does someone who speaks a language that does not have cases go about learning one that does.

A good approach to learning any language is to accept the fact that it doesn't work 100% the same way as my native language, nor anything else I know. Cases may be a major obstacle for a speaker of a non-case language, and vice versa.

For Russian, I've found Russian in Exercises to be particularly helpful. But then I've had some case exposure through German and Greek, so I knew what to expect.

More about cases:
Grammatical Cases: Why are they considered so hard?
5 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”