What are the features of your interlanguage?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

What are the features of your interlanguage?

Postby nooj » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:00 am

In case this term does not ring a bell, interlanguage is the particular grammar of the language we are learning that we have in our head.

It is different from our native language(s), and it is different from the language of native speakers of the language we are studying. Most of us, I suppose, are trying to approach that native language level, but meanwhile, we have a language that is not one nor the either, but something 'in between'.

To give a concrete example, in Madrid I had a friend who was French, and who spoke Spanish, but her Spanish was very interestingly different from the ones of native speakers. There would be at times interference from French, using the future tense when the present subjunctive was called for, and even more interestingly, she would make mistakes with the subjunctive that couldn't be explained by interference, because both French and Spanish require the subjunctive in that scenario. So the IL is not just a mix of the L1 and the L2.

But an interlanguage doesn't have to be just about mistakes.

When I speak Spanish, I'm well aware that I have a different capacity for understanding and production. I understand everything in a specific dialect to which I'm used to, but I often am unable to immediately recall words and use them in a way that a native speaker would. For I prefer to describe things rather than to name them. A window cleaner is a limpiacristales, but I am much more likely to say una persona encargada de limpar cristales. This is obviously due to lack of familiarity with these lexical terms, but that's typical I suppose of many people's IL.
0 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Re: What are the features of your interlanguage?

Postby BalancingAct » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:46 am

Sometimes when I need to say "yes" or "si", I say "oui". That's all.
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:12 pm

How can you know your own interlangauge?

Sorry if this is a stupid or obvious question for the other people, I truly don't know how to know this in my own foreign languages.

When I write or speak my foreign langauges I try to do this like the true language, I mean like the native speakers. but of course I make mistakes, but then I don't know what and if i knew then I would not make this mistakes.
2 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Jar-Ptitsa wrote:...but of course I make mistakes, but then I don't know what and if i knew then I would not make this mistakes.

I make this kind of mistakes. The more recent one that I remember - I've written "good on" when it's supposed to be "good at". I know the collocation, and I don't know why I've used it in the wrong way. In my native tongue it would be "good IN" not "ON".
2 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:39 pm

aaleks wrote:
Jar-Ptitsa wrote:...but of course I make mistakes, but then I don't know what and if i knew then I would not make this mistakes.

I make this kind of mistakes. The more recent one that I remember - I've written "good on" when it's supposed to be "good at". I know the collocation, and I don't know why I've used it in the wrong way. In my native tongue it would be "good IN" not "ON".

I find prepositions really difficult too.
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:08 am

BalancingAct wrote:Sometimes when I need to say "yes" or "si", I say "oui". That's all.

I remember I once came to a polyglot gathering in Berlin directly from a holiday in Italy, and I kept saying "si" instead of "jes" when I tried to speak Esperanto.
0 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:24 pm

I have issues with "a", "en" and "de" in Spanish. It's a direct and obvious interference from French. No matter how many times I'm corrected, I still make the same mistakes.
2 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:38 pm

Stelle wrote:I have issues with "a", "en" and "de" in Spanish. It's a direct and obvious interference from French. No matter how many times I'm corrected, I still make the same mistakes.

Same for me, especially "a" and "en". Even though Spanish works more like my native English in this respect (ir a, estar en), I still find myself incorrectly using them like in French and Italian (ir and estar "en" a country and "a" a city) and it's a mistake I really struggle to avoid. I suppose it's because Spanish is otherwise much more similar to these languages and I've come to see that as "the Romance language way".
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”