How to improve my listening so I can pass a C1 DALF listening section

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: How to improve my listening so I can pass a C1 DALF listening section

Postby smallwhite » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:42 pm

rdearman wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:Humm... I am not convinced about those numbers. I have already racked up over 330 hours of French in the super challenge for films and did about the same last time. I doubt I am anywhere near C1. I can understand the gist of a series without subtitles but it is a struggle.

Were you at the same starting point as she was?

Yes, I was probably at weak B1 after the end of the last SC, and probably about the same now. Course I've never actually taken a test.

Why "yes" then :?:
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:43 pm

smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:Humm... I am not convinced about those numbers. I have already racked up over 330 hours of French in the super challenge for films and did about the same last time. I doubt I am anywhere near C1. I can understand the gist of a series without subtitles but it is a struggle.

Were you at the same starting point as she was?

Yes, I was probably at weak B1 after the end of the last SC, and probably about the same now. Course I've never actually taken a test.

Why "yes" then :?:

Yes, I was at the same starting point at the beginning of this challenge, weak B1. Which is a complete estimate, I have no actual idea what level I am.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:46 pm

rdearman wrote:
smallwhite wrote:Why "yes" then :?:

Yes, I was at the same starting point at the beginning of this challenge, weak B1. Which is a complete estimate, I have no actual idea what level I am.

I mean, Cavesa wrote "French: I was weak B2, barely passed DELF at that time, and I struggled quite a lot at the beginning, at least until I found something quite easy..."
0 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:38 pm

garyb wrote:As usual for this forum there's too much emphasis on the numbers and little mention of quality as well as quantity. 300 hours of listening doesn't mean a whole lot in itself when there are factors like how comprehensible the materials were, how much attention was being paid (there's a whole continuum between extremely focused active listening and useless background listening), whether subtitles were present, etc. But no, people just want to know how many hours and how many words to reach a certain magic point.

I can't agree more. The real issue isn't the number of hours; it's the effectiveness of the process. Here's how I would approach this whole question of preparing for the DALF C1 comprehension test.

First of all, I find out what exactly is required in terms of the speaking style and typical content. Here is a website with some examples of recordings used for this test: http://www.delfdalf.fr/exemples-sujets-dalf-c1.html

Not surprisingly, we find out that the kind of French used is typically radio or television journalism reporting. It's not fictional television series or movie dialogs. So we now know what to prepare for.

With the vast wealth of material available on the Internet, I would make about 10 varied recordings of approximately 5-8 minutes each of material similar to the sample tests. Then make detailed transcripts of these recordings. Many of these recordings from Youtube probably have subtitles.

If possible, I would study the transcripts with a tutor to make sure I understand the contents, the vocabuary and the grammatical constructions.

Then as part of my regular practice routine, I listen to a couple recordings a few times with and then eventually without the transcripts. After a few -l et's say 10 - repetitions, I find I sort of know the recordings by heart. That's the whole point. After a while the material becomes totally transparent.

Then from time to time I listen to new material. There will of course be some new vocabulary but I see that I can understand nearly everything.

What's the theory behind all this? It's all based on the very well-known idea that in any language a very tiny number of distinct linguistic units constitute a large number of all the units in a sample. This is even more true within a given genre of speaking or writing such as television reporting. So a few samples are all that it takes to get a broad idea of the language generally used.

I suggested about 10 recordings of 5 - 8 minutes. These numbers are not cast in stone. One could do 15 or 20 recordings but the idea is to get a wide variety of subjects and voices.
2 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)
Yoruba (Advanced Comprehension)

Postby Sarafina » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:03 pm

I've created a listening timetable/schedule based on the advice given. If there's any gaps or areas in my listening schedule that you feel I'm neglecting, please let me know. I just want to know if it's long the right lines. Further criticism is more than welcome.

-To watch a video from 7jours YouTube channel which I think is part of TV5monde. Each video is a different interview about a specific topic. It's really interesting and informative. It has French subtitles. This can be part of my intensive listening practice in which I make sure that I understand the grammatical constructions and vocabulary. Then repeating it over and over again without looking at the French subtitles.

-Listen at least of one episode of a Franceculture podcast

-To binge-watch TV series in French: I am currently watching Marseille, The Break and Call My Argent (which are available on Netflix with relatively accurate French subtitles). I'll be watching those shows with French subtitles.
However for TV series such as Le Monde Incroyable de Gumball, LA FORÊT DE L’ÉTRANGE, Adventure Time and ATLA, I am currently watching those shows without any subtitles as well as write a summary/review of what I watched. Although I wish I could do it for each TV series I watch- I am aiming to write at least one summary each day and record myself discussing what I thought about it.

-To transcribe a video from Le Monde YouTube channel. It's challenging because they don't have subtitles that I can double check without. Maybe after I've finished my attempt to a transcription. I would ask on Italki if anyone is willing to transcribe the video although I don't know if many people (if any) will be willing to do this.
-To transcribe videos from a playlist I created on YouTube which is a random complication of French videos I've liked. Thankfully all of them have French subtitles that I can use to double check.
-Follow along French audio-books on my to-read list (which are L'Étranger, Madame Bovary, Candide ou l'Optimisime, Les fleures du mal)

-I try to listen various French youtubers mainly Cyprus North, Golden Moustache, Ginger Force, Le Tatou and Squeezie. My plan to listen to each video at least 3 times. First time to enjoy it with the French subtitles. Then note down any unknown words (eventually look out the meaning and add to Anki). Then watch without any subtitles as many times as my patience will be allow it. Is this order right?

-I am on the second episode of Balados which is a French Canadian podcast about Canadian history. It's over an hour long. It's not so something I can do everyday but I can listen to it on the Friday, Wednesday and the weekends

-To to listen to Journal en français facile by Savoir.rfi

(I have two French tutors on Italki. One is heavily centred on helping to pass my IB HL French oral exam which I need to do extremely well in. The other is just to get some French speaking practice that isn't centred around passing a specific exam. French B HL is meant to be the equivalent of a B2 (although there's some dispute about that). I can comfortably take a B2 reading paper. When I looked at some sample C1 reading paper- I understood most of it. However my listening is at B1. The disparity between my reading ability and my listening is probably the most frustrating because I understand almost everything when I then read the transcription which makes me kick myself at how I sometimes struggle transfer my knowledge of those words to understanding/recognising them when they are spoken).
5 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:14 pm

@sarafina. Wow, I'm impressed. I think this is an excellent study plan, and should produce great results. Let's us know how things work out.
1 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:36 pm

Sarafina wrote:-To transcribe a video from Le Monde YouTube channel. It's challenging because they don't have subtitles that I can double check without. Maybe after I've finished my attempt to a transcription. I would ask on Italki if anyone is willing to transcribe the video although I don't know if many people (if any) will be willing to do this.

I can transcribe a video (<5min) for you! I've always enjoyed a good dictée. :) The other option of course would be to have people just directly check your transcription with the video.
2 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:56 pm

Sarafina wrote:I have two French tutors on Italki. One is heavily centred on helping to pass my IB HL French oral exam which I need to do extremely well in. The other is just to get some French speaking practice that isn't centred around passing a specific exam. French B HL is meant to be the equivalent of a B2 (although there's some dispute about that).

Ahh the IB. Boy, do I not miss that at all! :lol: Good luck with it!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:30 am

Sarafina wrote:I just want to know if it's long the right lines. Further criticism is more than welcome.

I expect this schedule to be fun, time consuming, to work but very slowly (some people have given you timeframes). Most of our members learn languages for fun afterall with no deadline. From what level to what level do you have to improve in what timeframe?

Sarafina wrote:I'm someone that likes really specific advice with an estimated time frame of when to expect to reach certain milestones.

Will you track the efficiency of this schedule by, say, taking an online listening test before and after? (Dialang is a great test but probably not suitable for this one purpose; a test with actual scores would be better for evaluating short-term improvement).
1 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)
Yoruba (Advanced Comprehension)

Postby Sarafina » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:14 pm

smallwhite wrote:
Sarafina wrote:I just want to know if it's long the right lines. Further criticism is more than welcome.

I expect this schedule to be fun, time consuming, to work but very slowly (some people have given you timeframes). Most of our members learn languages for fun afterall with no deadline. From what level to what level do you have to improve in what timeframe?

My ultimate goal to be able to pass mock C1 listening paper by June 2018 as well as to be able to understand 90% of French tv series/movies such as Intouchables. But I don't know if that time frame is too short. However seeing as I'm focusing on just passing listening and reading section so I can devote more time and energy as opposed to having to divide my energy evenly across four different areas. I want to be confidently pass the reading and listening section of C1 DALF exam by following summer.

Sarafina wrote:I'm someone that likes really specific advice with an estimated time frame of when to expect to reach certain milestones.

Will you track the efficiency of this schedule by, say, taking an online listening test before and after? (Dialang is a great test but probably not suitable for this one purpose; a test with actual scores would be better for evaluating short-term improvement).

I'm having thinking of how I can track my progress e.g. transcribing videos from Le Monde YouTube channel and then calculating the percentage of words I was able to transcribe and then put on a spreadsheet my percentage each day and hopefully it should increasing. I haven't found a very good online listening test that can give me an accurate measure of my listening skills.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”