Russian: translation of "objectification"

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
LinguaPony
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (Proficient), Italian (Intermediate), M. Chinese (Beginner), German (Just started), Yiddish (half-cooked A1, long since forgotten, but now queued for revival)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7160

Re: Russian: translation of "objectification"

Postby LinguaPony » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Well, I wasn't sure, so I put AFAIK there. The online dictionary I'm using doesn't have it yet. :)
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:23 pm

LinguaPony wrote:
Soffía wrote:Thanks! The idea is that Yuri won't get it either - but back in the day, lots of people had to attend 'political education' classes in their workplace to study Marxist-Leninist thought. Or so I understand.

That's right, he wouldn't. His parents are about the youngest people who still would. Not sure about political education classes in the workplace, but every schoolchild and every adult student at university or at college was force-fed tons of it from day one.

Even his parents probably wouldn't, theoretically they could be about my age. I guess it depends on the school, its policy, etc. I vaguely remember that there was such a thing as политиформация, but it was something episodic or/and maybe I wasn't paying attention, I don't know. But I also remember that I was glad we didn't have to learn all those stuff :mrgreen: , at least for real. I mean we read stories about "дедушка Ленин" (Grandpa Lenin) and the like, but didn't study the Marxism-Leninism theories. So to me all that is just something from my childhood along with Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers and DuckTales :D
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:52 am

As a feminist I definitely prefer объективация. The explanation (опредмечивание etc) sounds really weird. And honestly if she does speak English, imo she'd attempt to translate it herself (unless she can't process the syllables properly). Imo it could be
-Объектификация? Что это?
-Объективация. Отношение как к игрушке, [сексуальному] объекту.
obviously игрушке is optional, this would depend on the context.

PS I really don't think there's any Russian aged above 10 who doesn't know who Lenin was :)
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”