Can I apply the adjective "killer" to a person as a way of emphasizing excellence in something (like craft)?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Can I apply the adjective "killer" to a person as a way of emphasizing excellence in something (like craft)?

Postby Ani » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:10 pm

I might have used "killer" to imply excellence when I was like 12, the same years I would have used "sick" for something cool and "psych!" to mean that I was joking. I would completely avoid this (all of these) phrase (s) now, unless using them as a joke it itself. I think they are dated. "Killer" also requires a particular tone of voice in the delivery or it would be confusing trying to understand what you meant.
6 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Re: Can I apply the adjective "killer" to a person as a way of emphasizing excellence in something (like craft)?

Postby David1917 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Killer chef, killer writer, killer drummer, all good and still used.

One way you can get around this is by describing the verb itself or something more specific: His biscuits are killer! Her writing is killer! His playing is killer! etc.

Killer is used a lot still in music circles, like "killer bassist" or "his playing is killer."

The more I think about it, I think if pertains to some sort of craft with a tangible output, then it is used. Killer manager, killer bus driver, killer waiter - all sound strange. But Killer chef, killer writer, killer musician, killer artist, killer designer, killer tailor, all good. Like said before, it's in intonation and usage. Any of these can be stand-alone "Have you heard of Lang Lang? He's a killer pianist from China." "You see this print? I got it from an old friend of mine, she's a killer artist." It's generally a hyperbolic statement to make, so be sure that you really mean it! Don't tell me someone is a killer chef if they work in a burger restaurant :D
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Killing comedian:
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:36 pm

I have seen expressions like "killer application", where the point seems to be that something is so efficient that it leaves all its competitors biting the dust behind it: However I also feel that it is difficult to use it about persons because they actually can be real killers, who leave a trail of dead bodies behind them, not just dust biting competitors.

I have less problems with expressions like something being 'a killer', even though the same logic ought to be valid here.
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:30 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Killing comedian:

The thing is, if he had said, "I killed it!" that would have totally worked. I hear people between the ages of 18 and 40+ say that on a somewhat regular basis. Along with the encouragement of, "Kill it!" as in, "do really well!" Note that the "it" is an inanimate object or it's a concept. I hear "smash" used in similar ways though apparently that also has a bunch of sextual contiations, none of which I've heard/seen used in the context I hear it used.

It really is all about context, which I think is what at least a handful of us have said. If you are unsure of the context then don't use the phrase. That might seem limiting to an L2 English speaker but I can think of plenty of phrases in English that L1 English speakers (or L2 speakers for that matter) should probably only use in a very specific context and might feel frustrated about not being able to use in every context (or rather, they can use them but need to realize that they might be seen as saying something offensive).
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:11 pm

There are numerous definitions for the slang usage of "killer" as an adjective. On the negative side, we have "something devastating, difficult, hard to cope with, et cetera. On the positive side, there is "extremely successful, impressive, exciting, et cetera." As an example, while the terms are probably now out-of-fashion, "lady-killer" and "dressed to kill" were once quite popular.

There is no doubt that idioms, colloquialisms, and slang all play an important role in all languages. Familiarity with, and the ability to employ, this level of language -- correctly and in the right setting -- exemplifies a heightened knowledge of, and appreciation for, some of the subtleties of a language. Nevertheless, whether we take the particular example of slang usage raised in this discussion thread or any other, I would most definitely endorse Ani's admonition that special care should be taken in employing this level of language. Inappropriate usage risks generating a reaction quite different from what one anticipated!

By the way, when did "bad" become an expression of approval? Fuggedaboudit!
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Ani wrote:I might have used "killer" to imply excellence when I was like 12, the same years I would have used "sick" for something cool and "psych!" to mean that I was joking. I would completely avoid this (all of these) phrase (s) now, unless using them as a joke it itself. I think they are dated. "Killer" also requires a particular tone of voice in the delivery or it would be confusing trying to understand what you meant.

I don't think you're old enough to have been 12 in the early 80's.

edited: because I'm a dork.
Last edited by zenmonkey on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:24 pm

Iversen wrote:I have seen expressions like "killer application", where the point seems to be that something is so efficient that it leaves all its competitors biting the dust behind it: However I also feel that it is difficult to use it about persons because they actually can be real killers, who leave a trail of dead bodies behind them, not just dust biting competitors.

I have less problems with expressions like something being 'a killer', even though the same logic ought to be valid here.

Tim Sanders took this meme from the 90's and wrote an excellent book called "Love is the Killer App" in 2002. Definitely influenced my work at the time...

https://vimeo.com/5452751
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Postby William Camden » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4F6aqo3Yp8
19:01 in this film from WW2 about preparing agents to work undercover has a Nazi or Spanish Falangist agent being tripped up by slang use of the word "killer".
2 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”