Can I apply the adjective "killer" to a person as a way of emphasizing excellence in something (like craft)?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
GoGoFelix1
Languages: Russian (N), Ukrainian (N), English (advanced), Slovenian (beginner)

Can I apply the adjective "killer" to a person as a way of emphasizing excellence in something (like craft)?

Postby GoGoFelix1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:40 pm

I've been having a real trouble with this word: I've managed to find only one reference to the usage of the word "killer" as an adjective in a way that describes a person's excellence or superiority in some craft. I know the word is categorized as informal. The issue is that I'm not sure whether using the word in such context -- for instance, a killer chef, a killer writer, a killer manager-- is appropriate and not weird. Thanks for paying attention to my message. Wish a great day to everyone :)
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Can I apply the adjective "killer" to a person as a way of emphasizing excellence in something (like craft)?

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Although I have never heard anyone say "killer chef," if I heard the expression I would know what it meant, a superior chef, and it would not strike me as weird.
On the other hand, "killer manager" might suggest that the manager is an overbearing, grueling task master, not necessarily an excellent manager.
So to answer your question, 'killer' can mean excellent but it would depend on the noun it is modifying (at least if you're talking to me).
6 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: Can I apply the adjective "killer" to a person as a way of emphasizing excellence in something (like craft)?

Postby aokoye » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:23 pm

I more or less agree with MorkTheFiddle, though I think I've heard "killer chef" before (where chef means cook). I also wouldn't use it in the context of someone in a a managerial position, so I wouldn't say, "she's a killer manager/boss/supervisor". I have definitely heard people say, "he's a killer knitter" though.

When it comes down to it, I wouldn't use "killer" to mean "excellent" in any sort of formal register.
3 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

GoGoFelix1

Postby GoGoFelix1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:26 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Although I have never heard anyone say "killer chef," if I heard the expression I would know what it meant, a superior chef, and it would not strike me as weird.
On the other hand, "killer manager" might suggest that the manager is an overbearing, grueling task master, not necessarily an excellent manager.
So to answer your question, 'killer' can mean excellent but it would depend on the noun it is modifying (at least if you're talking to me).

Thanks so much for your answer. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you one more question in order to clarify this word completely. If "killer chef" can be understood while "killer manager" not, what do you say about "killer writer"?
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:35 pm

GoGoFelix1 wrote:Thanks so much for your answer. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you one more question in order to clarify this word completely. If "killer chef" can be understood while "killer manager" not, what do you say about "killer writer"?

Yes, 'killer writer' would be okay, though as Aokoye points out, never in a formal register.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

GoGoFelix1

Postby GoGoFelix1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:42 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
GoGoFelix1 wrote:Thanks so much for your answer. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you one more question in order to clarify this word completely. If "killer chef" can be understood while "killer manager" not, what do you say about "killer writer"?

Yes, 'killer writer' would be okay, though as Aokoye points out, never in a formal register.

Thanks a lot for your help :D
0 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:04 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:

George R. R. Martin might be considered a “killer writer” in my mind, because his characters end up dying in one form or another. ;)
4 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:26 am

My gut reaction (and gut reactions aren't always reliable) is that "killer" is only used this way with things (e.g killer tune) and not people. It's hard to react to "killer writer" naturally given that I already know what you mean, but I doubt I'd get your intended meaning. I'd probably assume you were incorrectly using "killer" as a genre -- like horror writer, thriller writer or something.
Last edited by Cainntear on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:09 am

I get what is being meant. Killer writer seems okay to me.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

DangerDave2010
Orange Belt
Languages: gibberish (N)

Postby DangerDave2010 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:22 am

It is probably better to avoid slang if you are unfamiliar with the social situations in which they are used.
3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”