Dealing with Anger While Learning Foreign Language

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Re: Dealing with Anger While Learning Foreign Language

Postby sillygoose1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:38 pm

Yes that happens to me. One thing that has been consistent in my language learning is one day I understand everything, then someday I miss a whole bunch of words. I get incredibly angry and always feel like it was for nothing. Then, a short time after, suddenly I start to understand a little bit more than I could before. Or I can decode quicker and easier in general or through background noise.

I don't know if it's psychological or if it's an actual phenomenon that means I'm improving in my case
1 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:42 pm

"The most painful moments in our life are often the most beautiful and meaningful... The pain is what causes the beauty. " – The Spanish Dude

This video is about learning Spanish, but almost all of it applies to learning any language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfnoP3by3jc
0 x

neuroascetic
White Belt
Languages: Native: English
Learning: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?p=92431

Postby neuroascetic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:04 am

Steve wrote:I would also guess that stress from other sources outside of language learning will probably also have a big effect on learning as well.

I was once planning a conference and in the month before the event, I noticed how much more difficult my Anki reviews were on my commute. I had to strain much harder to translate simple sentences. It definitely affected recall. I assume that the stress affected consolidation as well.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”