Website(s) for helping you read books in your target languages

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Damien
Languages: French (Native), English (Vantage), Spanish (Upper intermediate)

Website(s) for helping you read books in your target languages

Postby Damien » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Hello to all of you!

As a language learner I like to read in my target languages but I have to admit that I sometimes struggle with understanding some key points on books I'm reading. Do you know of any website for language learners where we could ask specific questions in order to understand a book better?

Thanks in advance.

ps: feel free to correct my message :)
1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Re: Website(s) for helping you read books in your target languages

Postby Carmody » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:02 pm

Damien,

Welcome to the Forum.

Don't forget to set up your log, so that people will know what and how you are studying your target language. This is the area where people post their process and progress:
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewforum.php?f=15

What is the English (Vantage) level that you list on a A1 to C2 scale?

I am learning French and totally agree with you when you say:
As a language learner I like to read in my target languages but I have to admit that I sometimes struggle with understanding some key points on books I'm reading.
I have just finished Thérèse Desqueyroux by F. Mauriac and I have lots of questions, so if you wish to PM me we could exchange questions. :roll: :D

Enjoy the journey.

Carmody
3 x

mcthulhu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native); strong reading skills - Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Slovene, Farsi; fair reading skills - Polish, Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, Portuguese; beginner/rusty - Swedish, Norwegian, Danish

Re: Website(s) for helping you read books in your target languages

Postby mcthulhu » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:27 am

https://forum.wordreference.com/ has several language forums for questions of this sort. For example, it has subforums for French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais, and for French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise. These are very large forums with many questions and answers saved (though not all questions have answers); e.g., at the moment there are 3,882,205 messages in the Spanish-English Vocabulary forum, and 2,817,579 in the French one. The forums are searchable, and it's quite possible that someone else might have asked similar questions before. If not you can always ask a new one.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”