Hindi necessary for Sanskrit?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Re: Hindi necessary for Sanskrit?

Postby aravinda » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:00 am

David1917 wrote:My interest lies mostly with the Bhagavad Gita - which it looks like the Egnes book uses excerpts from.
Yes, Part 2 of Thomas Egenes' Introduction to Sanskrit uses verses from Bhagavad-Gita. If you are interested in Bhagavad-Gita, Winthrop Sargeant's interlinear edition is the book you need.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bhagavad-Gita- ... a+sargeant
From the blurb: "...Winthrop Sargeant's interlinear edition provides a word-for-word English translation along with the Devanagari characters and the transliterated Sanskrit. Detailed grammatical commentary and page-by-page vocabularies are included, and a complete translation of each section is printed at the bottom of each page, allowing readers to turn the pages and appreciate the work in Sargeant's translation as well. Discussions of the language and setting of the Gītā are provided and, in this new edition, editor Christopher Key Chapple offers guidance on how to get the most out of this interlinear edition..."
The book can be read with a minimal knowledge of Sanskrit. (There's a pocket edition of Bhagavad-Gita by the same author, so you need to be careful if you are buying it online).
Only other, comparable Sanskrit "reader" is Peter Scharf's Ramopakhyana which is also a true work of love:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ramopakhyana-M ... f+sanskrit
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Re: Hindi necessary for Sanskrit?

Postby David1917 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:23 pm

Great! I just added that to my wishlist. I have BG "As it is" which includes Sanskrit, word for word translation and then explication, but with the extra grammatical notes this should be a good addition as well. Thanks.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”