How do you approach learning new word inflections/conjugations

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: How do you approach learning new word inflections/conjugations

Postby reineke » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:32 am

I don't even try. You could say I'm non-aligned.
1 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:17 am

reineke wrote:I don't even try. You could say I'm non-aligned.

Maybe because your native language has cases it's more natural and easy for you.

For me, the cases are the things that I muddle up the most in my languages, and they are only in one because I onyl know west European languages.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

jimmyy
White Belt
Languages: English, French, Dutch, Romanian, Ukrainian

Postby jimmyy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:59 am

Iversen wrote:I make Green sheets with the regular inflections, the most important irregular words and sometimes also some aspects of syntax. .....

Thank you Iversen,
I started reading about your Green sheets, and I understand the principle, but do you think this method can be applied to everyone? My take is that this is more for the very analytical minds, or for the very committed ones. A "normal learner" usually learns a new language as a side activity in parallel with a main activity (job, family...) and there to remember from one day to another becomes more complicated.

I love learning new languages, and I love speaking very well, thus reaching a very advanced level. Such sheets, while they are useful I find them a bit cumbersome to be used in practice. First it's quite a challenge to write them, and if somebody else would write them it's still challenging to use them, to know in which case you are.

The French verbs while being split into a few categories expose around 92 conjugation tables (according to Bechrelle). Romanian plural is already complicated, only for feminine you have 9 regular undefined article forms for the Nominative case. Add to this 2-3 more rules for the defined article form still Nominative and then for the other cases other forms, it becomes quite complex, especially in the beginning when you just want to learn how two say "two apples".

What I'm trying to say, is that while I agree with you on the principle, and I like the method of the green sheets, I feel that it can be perceived as overwhelming for a "normal student" of a particular target language.

In this circumstances, I'd like to repeat my main question, on how to learn the inflection forms. Is it better maybe to go for learning only the nominative singular and plural first and then the rest, maybe later, when you would have reached a more advanced level?

What do you think?

I would be curious to hear the views of others as well.

Thank you
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”