Readlang reviews?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Readlang reviews?

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Adrianslont wrote:Mork, I’ve been looking into this more and you may be correct about Google Translate. I found someone on a blog saying that Readlang uses GT for its “base translation” ie the inline translation that appears when you click/tap on words - but, when using Readlang on a computer you have an optional sidebar which simultaneously shows you a translation in WordReference (or for a handful of other languages there is a different, better online dictionary according to Readlang’s own blog). Thus, you actually have two dictionaries simultaneously - though the inline one is GT.

On a phone however, things are a little different - the sidebar cannot be always present because of the smaller screen. You can however toggle it in and out with a single tap.

Regarding the developer and his hiatus, I believe he is on hiatus from development but not maintainance - recently the TTS stopped working so I contacted him and he replied and fixed it promptly.
Thanks for the clarification. I have invested so much time in the vocabularies of LWT that I am going to stick to LWT, anyway. And I don't have a smart phone ( :!: ).
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Andy E
Yellow Belt
Languages: *
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8001

Re: Readlang reviews?

Postby Andy E » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:45 am

Adrianslont wrote:Mork, I’ve been looking into this more and you may be correct about Google Translate. I found someone on a blog saying that Readlang uses GT for its “base translation” ie the inline translation that appears when you click/tap on words - but, when using Readlang on a computer you have an optional sidebar which simultaneously shows you a translation in WordReference (or for a handful of other languages there is a different, better online dictionary according to Readlang’s own blog). Thus, you actually have two dictionaries simultaneously - though the inline one is.

Interesting info thanks. Whether it's WordReference or Google Translate, what I like most about it is the improved user experience when reading; similar to a long press when I'm reading an L2 book in my Kindle, it barely interrupts the flow. I don't mind that the translation of a single word is sometimes a little "odd" (for want of a better word). I don't use the phrase translation except in the beginning when by accident I clicked on two words side-by-side but I've now turned that off.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”