What should I do now with my French in the current situation?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
AmitS
White Belt
Languages: Hebrew (N), English (B2), Spanish (beginner)

What should I do now with my French in the current situation?

Postby AmitS » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:05 pm

As a little background I'll say that I've started learning French since high school for almost 3 years.
Since the moment that I finished French in school, in last May, I didn't touch any French (except some basic conversations I'm having once a few weeks with my grandmother, who speaks French as a mother tongue).
I believe that in my heyday period my French level would arrive B1, but today, after almost 5 months without constantly learning French, I would say that my current level is about A2.

At this point, as I would like to revive my French learning, my current goal is to get to a sufficient level, which allows me to start reading. Currently, I don't really know where should I start from in order to achieve this goal.. I can say that over time I've learned parts of Duolingo and Lingvist courses.
Do you think that in the current situation, in order to achieve my goal, finishing Duolingo and Lingvist would be enough? Should I do another course(s) in addition/instead? Or even should I start everything from scratch by using a thorough popular course (like Assimil)?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance :)
0 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Re: What should I do now with my French in the current situation?

Postby Xmmm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:16 pm

I did the Lingvist French course in 2014. To complete the course, you're supposed to do this:

1. Work through the flashcards
2. Work through the readings. Any time your "words known" gets to about 92%, you're supposed to do the reading.
3. Work through the audio. Any time your "words known" gets to about 92%, you're supposed to listen to the audio.

I did all of that, and when I was done I could read forty page chunks of French literature very successfully. This was inevitable, because the most advanced readings on Lingvist are forty page chunks of French literature.

So once you're finished with Lingvist, you should be able to read simple French books without too much difficulty.

I honestly think Lingvist is a better system than Duolingo, and you are in the fortunate position of learning the only language they ever finished Lingvist for ... French.
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:23 pm

AmitS wrote: I would say that my current level is about A2.

At this point, as I would like to revive my French learning, my current goal is to get to a sufficient level, which allows me to start reading.
I think you should start reading now. You don't have to understand everything. You could use a parallel text, or just be content to understand the story at a gist level. Reading a story you already know well is a common choice.

Or try with some french wikipedia articles on a subject you are familiar with, e.g. The Dead Sea Scrolls.
2 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Do Mauger's Cours... 1-3 and spend more time with your grandma.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”