After Pimsleur

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
donkeygoatee
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner), Irish (once intermediate, now probably regressed to beginner!)

After Pimsleur

Postby donkeygoatee » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm just about to get to the end of Pimsleur Spanish 5 and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on what material I could use after that. I don't think I'll ever find anything as convenient as Pimsleur - the fact that it's 100% audio and has the graduated recall intervals built it has been great. I've been thinking about looking for an online tutor now on one of those sites like italki or whatever. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
1 x

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Re: After Pimsleur

Postby James29 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:25 pm

donkeygoatee wrote:I'm just about to get to the end of Pimsleur Spanish 5 and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on what material I could use after that. I don't think I'll ever find anything as convenient as Pimsleur - the fact that it's 100% audio and has the graduated recall intervals built it has been great. I've been thinking about looking for an online tutor now on one of those sites like italki or whatever. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Your message hit my heart. When I first started Spanish I used Pimsleur. As I was closing in on the end I realized that I did not "know" Spanish yet. So, I googled "after Pimsleur." I found the old HTLAL website in that google search and the rest was history.

But, to answer your question, do Michel Thomas twice, then Assimil, then Michel Thomas advanced twice, then do active wave of Assimil again, then do FSI Basic.
5 x

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Re: After Pimsleur

Postby Tristano » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:42 am

I learned Spanish just by listening to the radio for I've month and then I discovered that I could already speak it and understand everything what my tutors were saying plus watch movies and YouTube videos spoken crazy fast (like Hola soy German). No grammar study, no Duolingo, no Assimil, no Pimsleur. But. I'm now studying German and I finished Pimsleur in two weeks, and I also have to move to something else. Michel Thomas is a good candidate. Check Spanishpod101, it's a fantastic resource too. Assimil always useful. The podcast notes from Spanish is quite good and have lessons for all levels (I started directly with the intermediate but there is also a beginner series).
Good luck!
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”