Japanese, JLPT N2 and overwhelmed by vocab

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
DCDC
White Belt
Languages: .

Re: Japanese, JLPT N2 and overwhelmed by vocab

Postby DCDC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:15 pm

overscore wrote:Why do you all bother with the JLPT?
Japan might be land of senseless credentialism, there's no need to feed into the insanity.
Might just be me, I find language tests supremely pointless. You're self-discouraging by focusing on words like "turnip" and "anvil" that turn up once in a blue moon and completely disregarding your own circumstances.

I needed a proof of my language ability for my job (and I don't even work in Japan).
I really don't think N2 has too many useless words, and it certainly doesn't have any useless grammar. The listening/reading is also pretty normal, everyday stuff. A person studying for JLPT is just learning normal Japanese, mostly the same things they'd learn anyway if they were just studying for themselves.
smallwhite wrote:Thanks for the correction. How many words would there be in the "practice material oriented towards the latest test format"?

Once I saw an estimation of 10,000 words for N2 and 18,000 for N1 and I think it could be possible... but honestly, it's really hard to tell.

So far I've never come across either of those words in Japanese: maybe they'll crop up when I start working towards N1 :-)

I'm studying for N1 and saw nothing like this yet :P
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”