FSI Programmatic Portuguese vs DLI

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Yaya100000
White Belt
Languages: Portuguese (Intermediate)

Re: FSI Programmatic Portuguese vs DLI

Postby Yaya100000 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:07 pm

After thinking about it a little more, I would suggest you finish Assimil and skip FSI completely. The only significant benefit to doing FSI after Assimil would be additional pronunciation practice. You could get this from other sources specifically directed towards this. "Talking Brazilian" by Perini is a good pronunciation course for Brazilian Portuguese, for example. You'd probably be better off studying various aspects of the language via more specialized sources than doing another basic course. If you feel that you truly must do another basic course after Assimil, I would say you should work through the DLI course because it has more vocabulary then FSI . You certainly wouldn't need another basic course after completing DLI though. It would be nice if Assimil had a second Portuguese course like they do for French, but since they don't the next step is more specialized study and native materials. Good luck and I hope this helps.
3 x

Yaya100000
White Belt
Languages: Portuguese (Intermediate)

Re: FSI Programmatic Portuguese vs DLI

Postby Yaya100000 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:10 pm

I just finished Pimsleur Brazilian Portuguese 5, which was released earlier this year. Overall, I found the course very useful. It provided nice practice with using some intermediate level Portuguese grammar and had some useful vocabulary as well. I would say that in reality Pimsleur 1-5 is the rough equivalent of FSI Programmatic 1&2 in terms of the outcome of doing the courses. That is, I estimate that one's spoken Portuguese in particular would be at approximately the same level after doing each course. So the 2 courses aren't exactly interchangeable but if I was starting Portuguese from scratch I would choose either one of these courses and something a bit more substantial like Assimil or DLI as a 2 course combination instead of Pimsleur + FSI Programmatic. With that being said, I still find the 2 courses I actually completed to be enough to use native materials and speak with Brazilians, so in the long run the exact 2 courses chosen don't really matter that much.
4 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”