Constantly Confusing Words in French. When will it End??? Help??

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Constantly Confusing Words in French. When will it End??? Help??

Postby Cavesa » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:19 pm

Arnaud wrote:- Secondly, if you don't know certains words, it's normal that the brain try to replace them by known words, and as french is full of homophones it's particularly easy to do: you could have written: nous devons aller à l'avant. The fact that you hear "à" instead of "de" is probably normal: if you don't know the fixed expression "aller de l'avant", you can interpret it as "aller à l'avant" that is more frequent ("aller à" is super frequent). In general, when I correct transcripts on Italki, I see that people make a lot of mistakes with prepositions: either they simply don't hear them, either they "interpret" them badly.

I think this is the key idea here.

Many comprehension problems come from weak vocabulary, or weak knowledge of the structures we are likely to encounter. What I found immensely helpful, for my French listening comprehension years ago, was not only quite good theoretical knowledge of grammar and vocab. But also reading. I started with lots of extensive reading earlier than with lots of extensive listening. That way, I was getting used to seeing the patterns and words, and the sound was later drawing from this huge pool of "stuff that is normal and could be encountered".

So, I would recommend a lot of reading. And also work on vocab and grammar. Especially grammar, looking at the examples. It helps the comprehension to know, that some stuff does and some stuff doesn't fit in the context. The good old grammar exercises may be useful, but I would definitely say reading will be great, for both passive skills.
2 x

Speakeasy

Re: Constantly Confusing Words in French. When will it End??? Help??

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:25 pm

I'm a sure that we all have a few anecdotes that we can recount about our language-learning experiences. With a view to encouraging the OP, I thought that I might provide the following example from the first couple of years of my contact with spoken French.

I had been in Québec for about 18 months and had already passed the province's mandatory B2 level French exam for non-Francophone professionals wishing to practice in the province. While I would fully agree that B2 is not C2, it is, nevertheless, a fairly respectable accomplishment. Still, I had a very difficult time understanding what-seemed-to-me to be the group "n'..mn..né", whenever I heard it. Finally, at the end of a very long day in a conference room, I cornered one of my colleges who seemed to have been interjecting this group of unintelligible consonants into his speech in the manner that some people unconsciously insert "uh" into theirs. Our exchange was a fine example of a Vaudeville comedy routine with me asking "What did you say, what does that mean?" with my college responding "What? What did I say? What do you mean?" all the while repeating something other than the illusive "n'..mn..né." Finally, he said it once again and I gave him my best imitation of what he had just said. "Oh", he said, that's "un moment donné" and he proceeded with an explanation of how this expression is commonly used. https://offqc.com/tag/a-un-moment-donne/

I have numerous similar anecdotes and I'm confident that just about everyone else does, as well. How are these resolved? "Time in!"
6 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”