Learning basic Japanese

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
ianmagyar
Languages: Hungarian (N), Slovak (N), English (C1), German (B1)

Learning basic Japanese

Postby ianmagyar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Hi all!

Early next year, I'll have an opportunity to spend a few months in Japan, working in research. Although it's not really necessary for the project, I would still like to acquire some basic Japanese until that time so I can get around in everyday situations. Plus, learning Japanese has always been a goal for me and I wouldn't want to let this chance go to waste. So I was thinking if maybe there was a way to learn some basics in 4-5 months?

I'll have about an hour every day to learn, but I'm somewhat lost in the amount of material available. Which programs and courses would you recommend? My primary goal is to be able to speak and understand conversations at a basic level, I don't think I should spend time learning kanjis, yet. I've seen a few people recommend Pimsleur and Genki, but I'd like to get different opinions and tips on how to start. :)
1 x

Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Re: Learning basic Japanese

Postby Seneca » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:50 pm

The Michel Thomas Japanese course seems to have good reviews and would cover basics, if it is at all similar to the core languages it was originally made for.
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:15 pm

A Bridge Too Far?
Ianmagyar, as your profile indicates that have considerable experience in learning foreign languages, you are undoubtedly aware that acquiring sufficient Japanese during a period of four-to-five months, in independent study sessions of one hour per day, with a view to participating in basic conversations, represents quite a challenge. So then, if I were in your position, I would:

Michel Thomas versus Pimsleur
While I would ordinarily suggest that you commence with Pimsleur, as this otherwise excellent programme is so very time-consuming for such little progress, I would support Seneca’s recommendation that you begin with Michel Thomas Japanese. Nevertheless, I would add that you should “burn through this course as fast as you can” and move on quickly to …

Assimil Japanese
The Michel Thomas Japanese course should give you just enough of a “general feel” for the language that the shock of encountering the progressively-difficult mini-dialogues of Assimil Japanese will not seem too onerous. However, as you progress through the lessons, you can expect to experience a level of frustration and discouragement. The problem will not necessarily be the difficulties associated with the Assimil method; rather, the “distance” between Japanese and whatever L1 variant of Assimil you will have chosen will seem exhausting given the little study time that is available to you.

Assimil: Additional Comments
If you have not yet used the Assimil Method for studying a language, it would be useful for you to be aware that the method is based on the presentation of circa 100 mini-dialogues, which are translated, accompanied by a small selection of exercises and explanatory notes. Although the language employed is quite correct, the authors of these courses often make an effort to include materials derived from colloquial usage. Now then, many introductory self-study language courses introduce the target language through the presentation of dialogues and, in most cases, these situational dialogues follow a fairly standard and predictable pattern: arrival at the airport; arranging for a taxi to one's hotel; booking a room at one's hotel; requesting information concerning sight-seeing activities, museums, and the like; ordering in cafés and restaurants; presenting oneself to strangers; asking for directions; et cetera. In other words: get in, enjoy the sights, get out. In contrast, the Assimil dialogues do not have an overall theme that binds them together, they are simply short, disjointed dialogues. For this reason, some students have a difficult time "visualizing" themselves actually employing the materials in practical situations during their brief visits to the regions where the target language is spoken, thereby leaving them with the sensation: "why, on earth, am I learning this?" However, this "apparent" lack of organisation should not be considered a weakness of the method as, about half-way the course, one begins to feel increasingly comfortable with the lack of direction of the dialogues and, finally, one begins to appreciate that they simulate the chaotic discussions that we experience in real life and that their ultimate value resides in their cumulative effect. Another aspect of the Assimil Method (in my opinion) is that the accompanying "notes" seem to be written in manner such that only one who already has a fairly good grasp of the target language's grammar can truly understand them. For this reason, I would suggest that anyone using the Assimil Method purchase a very basic Grammar of the Target Language to be consulted, as needed, throughout the course.

Good luck with your studies and your research programme!

EDITED:
Additional comments on Assimil.
Typos, wie immer!
3 x

stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2), Japanese (A2), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner) Thai (beginner). Korean (Beginner) Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Romanian, Vietnamese

Postby stelingo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:42 pm

I would recommend Japanese from Zero. The first book is free and there is a companion website and youtube videos.

http://yesjapan.com/YJ6/
2 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:01 pm

tae kim grammar guide. it's free and it's awesome. this is the only grammar guide/textbook thing I used for learning Japanese.

ALSO i recommend using rikai-sama/yomi-sama for learning via reading like song lyrics for beginners.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”