Automatic translation of wordlists?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Automatic translation of wordlists?

Postby Kraut » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:04 pm

Have you noticed what you can do with DeepL in that respect:

-you can collect your words, each in a single line
-click on a translation to choose a better one that DeepL offers

Personally I would not isolate the new words but keep them in a good example sentence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:39 pm

Kraut wrote:-click on a translation to choose a better one that DeepL offers

I'm not sure I'm currently at the stage where I can make a meaningful choice. I expect that as I come across each word (and they are in the order they appear in the book ...) I'll decide whether the meaning I have makes sense in the sentence I have in front of me. If it does, then I move on; if not I have to stop and figure it out.

Kraut wrote:Personally I would not isolate the new words but keep them in a good example sentence.

I've found, for Japanese, that it helps me to have both single words and whole sentences. The sentences have the advantage of context but the disadvantage that if 決勝 only appears in one or two sentences I know to expect it in those sentences so I can't be sure that I could recognise it if it cropped up in a new sentence. That may not matter so much for German. I do also expect to copy and paste sentences in to Anki as I go along, so I won't be seeing only isolated words.
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:07 pm

To me the procedure looks like some kind of doing dictionary entries by common consent and gut feelings. I still trust dictionaries more, but as a pedagogical trick letting the user decide the best translation may be an interesting novel approach. And in most cases the number of just minimally tempting translation will be quite small. How many general names are there for a stone, not counting names of different kinds of stone? "I threw a stone (pebble/rock/...)" If you let a machine provide the words you may be irrelevant proposals like quarts or (even worse) amber, and even thsoe I mentioned are dubious.
0 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:54 am

dampingwire wrote:... sentences have the advantage of context but the disadvantage that if 決勝 only appears in one or two sentences I know to expect it in those sentences so I can't be sure that I could recognise it if it cropped up in a new sentence. That may not matter so much for German. I do also expect to copy and paste sentences in to Anki as I go along, so I won't be seeing only isolated words.

Agreed! I've had a very similar experience. For me, it takes at least three and often up to five very different sentences for each new word to stick as a word by itself, not as a chunk. Learning in chunks is good and important but there's a place for isolated vocabulary study as well.
2 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:00 am

Here you can collect your context lists and store them online:
http://context.reverso.net/favourites
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”