Question about German

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1435

Question about German

Postby Theodisce » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:48 am

What do I say to a person I'm letting go ahead of me in the queue? I mean the whole sentence and not just "bitte" accompanied by an appropriate gesture.
0 x
BCS 400+ : 48 / 50
RUS 2800+ : 74 / 100
SPA 1500+ : 128 / 100
CZE 1900+ : 94 / 50

Finolia
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (B2), Spanish (A2), Vietnamese (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7587

Re: Question about German

Postby Finolia » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:27 am

It depends on the situation :P You could simply say "Nach Ihnen", as you would when you let someone through a door before you go. Or "Sie können vor, wenn Sie möchten." "Möchten Sie vor?" "Gehen Sie ruhig vor." etc. In the supermarket you could accompany it by the reason, e.g. "Sie haben nur so wenig, möchten Sie vor?" or "Sie können gerne vorgehen, ich habe Zeit/ ich habe es nicht so eilig" or "Sie haben nicht viel, wollen Sie zuerst?"... There are probably a lot more :)
6 x
Please feel free to correct whatever I write :P

Elementary Vietnamese: 8 / 14

Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.

Postby Theodisce » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:19 am

Thank you very much! Kommen Sie bitte nach vorne does not work in this context, right? (BTW, I was thinking about the way one does express this idea in my native language and could not find anything apart from the Polish equivalent to "bitte").
0 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:09 pm

No, "Kommen Sie (bitte) nach vorne" could be said by the person at the desk but not by someone standing in the queue. Or maybe, it could be said by the first person in the queue, but that would mean the person could skip the whole queue.

I'd probably just ask "Möchten Sie vor?" with an inviting hand gesture.
3 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Theodisce
Orange Belt

Postby Theodisce » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:27 pm

Josquin wrote:No, "Kommen Sie (bitte) nach vorne" could be said by the person at the desk but not by someone standing in the queue. Or maybe, it could be said by the first person in the queue, but that would mean the person could skip the whole queue.

I'd probably just ask "Möchten Sie vor?" with an inviting hand gesture.

Thank you, Josquin! Actually, today I was one of the only two persons in the queue, so it would theoretically apply. However, I got "Wohin" als an answer and repeated "nach vorne" while pointing the direction with my hand.
0 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:54 pm

Well, it would only work if there was a real queue of several people, you being the first and the other person being last or at least near the end of the queue. "Kommen Sie nach vorne" implies that the person is "hinten", otherwise it makes no sense.

As I said, the best option would be asking "Möchten Sie vor?" or saying something like "Bitte nach Ihnen".
2 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”