Past tense Motivate/motivated

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
RoxXxoR
Languages: Bahasa Indonesia (n), English (b2), Dutch (n), Bahasa Sunda (b1), Bahasa Jawa (b1), French (beginner), German (beginner)

Past tense Motivate/motivated

Postby RoxXxoR » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:06 am

Hi All,

I have a question for all English native speakers here. If you read the following sentence as a company name:

"Strong Motivated"

Would you read it as a past tense sentence? If so, how should i put it into text to make it present or time undefined.

Ys,

Rox
0 x

mcthulhu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native); strong reading skills - Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Slovene, Farsi; fair reading skills - Polish, Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, Portuguese; beginner/rusty - Swedish, Norwegian, Danish

Re: Past tense Motivate/motivated

Postby mcthulhu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:19 pm

I agree that "strong motivated" doesn't make a lot of sense without something to complete it; both are adjectives modifying a missing noun. One random example from a Google search: "strong motivated young man needing work." If a company is implied from context, then I guess it's saying that the company is both strong and motivated. "Motivated" can be a past tense verb in other contexts, but definitely not with an adjective just before it.

If you intend "strong" to modify "motivated," then it would need to be an adverb, as LesRonces suggested; though "highly motivated" might be more common.

A company name doesn't really need to make sense, though.
2 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:35 pm

This is the past participle, not past tense. It's used like an adjective here and already is present tense. There's no present (or even future) passive participle in English, so you can't transform this construction into a different tense. And, for what's it worth, this is not a complete sentence.
4 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

RoxXxoR
Languages: Bahasa Indonesia (n), English (b2), Dutch (n), Bahasa Sunda (b1), Bahasa Jawa (b1), French (beginner), German (beginner)

Postby RoxXxoR » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:58 am

Thank you all for helping me with this issue. The subject names are difficult for me. The option to be creative or to choose to follow the rules is always a dilemma with company names.

Back to the workbench i suppose.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:01 pm

RoxXxoR wrote:Thank you all for helping me with this issue. The subject names are difficult for me. The option to be creative or to choose to follow the rules is always a dilemma with company names.

Back to the workbench i suppose.

"Strong, Motivated." "Strong. Motivated." Could be a company name. The punctuation helps with clarification but you wouldn't have to use it every time. You could also put the words over top of each other and they would make sense just fine. If I heard that company name, I'd think you sold workout gear, weighs, fitness clothes, etc so if this is really far from what you do, it might not be the right combination of words.
These words aren't sentences and can't be made into sentences, which I think is where the confusion came in above. "Could they make a coherent business name" and "are they a present tense sentence" are very different questions.
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”