Satellite TV: do you use it?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: Satellite TV: do you use it?

Postby reineke » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:56 pm

What pay or free apps or services do you guys use to stream foreign channels?
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:06 pm

http://www.progdvb.com/download_progdvb.html
ProgDVB is a software for Sat-TV reception via a Tv-card for the computer, but it can also receive IPTV streams. The freeware comes with a long list of IPTV channels, but not all of them will work, but there is Antena Tres, La Sexta and some South-American channels ...
2 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:20 am

I'm in the UK and I have a dish pointed at HotBird. That can pick up RAI 1/2/3 and maybe another 30 mainstream-but-local Italian channels, various German channels, a few Spanish ones and a host of other stuff that I've never bothered to sort through.

The receiver was about £50 or so. The dish + LNB I got free from a friend but £50 should sort that out. Then you need a bit of cabling, some wall bolts and a signal strength meter. You point it roughly where your neighbour's sky dish is pointed and tweak a bit. Or you can pay someone to do the initial install for you.

There is no subscription (unless you want to pick up some of the non-FTA channels ... but then you'll need a slightly more expensive receiver that has a CI ... I think).
2 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:16 am

reineke wrote:What pay or free apps or services do you guys use to stream foreign channels?

DVBVIEWER is 20 Euro with no time limit, I've used it for many years for Sat-TV reception on the computer together with a TV card.
It also works with IPTV lists and can record programs.

https://www.dvbviewer.tv/forum/topic/60806-iptv/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:46 pm

I saw mention of a free VPN earlier on this thread and I felt compelled to explain this for anyone who doesn't know:

Don't EVER use a free VPN. A free VPN is worse than having no VPN. Running VPNs is expensive; there are generally many servers in multiple locations to maintain, which costs quite a lot of money. So how does a free VPN not only pay their considerable costs AND turn a profit? Simple, they harvest all your data and sell it. No company is going to shell out major money just to provide you with a free service that in no way benefits them. Always treat anything "free" with extreme caution because the true cost is hidden for a reason. This goes for any free VPN embedded in an OS or app. Don't use it.

There are a lot of VPN companies out there. Many have either a limited time free trial (like 1 week) to see if you want to sign up, or allow you to pay month-to-month with no commitment. They have varying numbers of servers/locations available, and depending on how many people are using the service, your internet speed may or may not be slowed down considerably. Spend the time to research the companies you are considering. They do not all provide the same level of protection and privacy.

I tried a few options before settling on the one I currently use. After paying for a month, I was satisfied so I signed up for a year, which comes to ~ $4/month. Unlike many other VPN companies, this particular company doesn't save any record of your internet history, so they can not be compelled to share your data even if presented with a court order. Nowadays, having a VPN is essential if you want to in some small way to avoid living in George Orwell's 1984 nightmare and have some shred of privacy. Just don't use a free one.

*VPNs don't work with Netflix. I have tried with multiple servers in the past year and for every 50 different ones I try, occasionally 1 will work for a short period of time, but it eventually gets blocked. To be clear, I'm not violating any rules about trying to access other countries' versions of the program, I'm accessing my own account using a server located in my own country. I just always use a VPN as a general rule. Netflix has cracked down big time on users with VPNs, and I have to disable it in order to watch Netflix on my laptop.
7 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:06 am

Here is tons of IPTV streams, mainly Spanish-speaking:

http://www.franztv.net/listas-m3u-canales-octubre.html
1 x