Satellite TV: do you use it?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Satellite TV: do you use it?

Postby DaveBee » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:33 am

Reading about the french-german TV channel ARTE, I noticed they are broadcast free on satellite.

I sometimes watch their programmes via the Arte.tv website, but they use IP blocking, so I can only watch a subset from the UK, of which only a further subset has french language subtitles (which is what I'm really looking for!).

A web search has led me towards a DIY satellite kit.

Have you tried satellite TV? Is it worth having?
0 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Re: Satellite TV: do you use it?

Postby Stefan » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:41 pm

Maybe off-topic but have you considered getting a VPN and access free channels (incl. arte) from a regular computer? I paid $35 to get "lifetime access" to 48 different countries. I don't know how safe my supplier is so I'm hesitant to mention the name but a VPN might be worth considering.

2 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt

Postby DaveBee » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:10 pm

Stefan wrote:Maybe off-topic but have you considered getting a VPN and access free channels (incl. arte) from a regular computer? I paid $35 to get "lifetime access" to 48 different countries. I don't know how safe my supplier is so I'm hesitant to mention the name but a VPN might be worth considering.

I have!

Whatiftheblog mentioned using SurfEasy, so I tried a free version (same company as the Opera browser), but it didn't seem to go so well. This may because I used a mailinator.com email address, companies sometimes don't like that. Perhaps I should try again.

Les Ronces mentioned 6M's online service, which I tried (using a don't bug me login) but they don't have subtitles. Its the french audio PLUS french subs that I want.

I'm also considering Telefrance.co.uk and INA.fr
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:16 pm

I bought a free transceiver for my sky box. It does get a ton of channels but the problem is that the satellite dish is currently pointed to a UK bird. You'll need to be able to re-point your dish to a section of the sky which holds the satellite you want to receive from. There are adjustable ones available. With the UK satellite I use there is only one channel in French.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

DaveBee
Blue Belt

Postby DaveBee » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:20 pm

LesRonces wrote:I actually don't know anything with extensive subtitles for French. Maybe get some French DVD's ? Friends, Buffy, etc ?
I've started downloading the ARTE programmes that have them. (I very much like and recommend Les Grands Mythes!), But I think you may be right, it does come back to DVDs, which themselves don't always have subtitles!
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:53 pm

The better question is: "Satellite TV: Do you have the money for it?"

I get that you linked to one of the cheaper options for this but still. That said, I have a neighbor (in the US) who subscribes to the French channel package on cable (or satellite but I think he has cable) and he really enjoys use it to keep up his French listening skills. I, as I've mentioned a number of times, watch ZDF and the like online or streaming via Chromecast to my TV for German.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:40 pm

DaveBee wrote:Reading about the french-german TV channel ARTE, I noticed they are broadcast free on satellite.

Some years ago I had satellite TV, though I did not use it then for language learning. Storms always broke reception, not just periodically but until the storm ended. Later I moved for a while to the desert of New Mexico, where it almost never rained and where reception rarely was blocked.
So keep weather in mind. And although I won't go into it, before you sign a contract with a satellite company, read and understand everything and be sure you get a copy of your signed contract.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:58 pm

If you live in the UK and a lot of Europe, apparently you can point a satellite dish at the Hotbird satellite and pick up a bunch of channels in lots of languages. There was a thread about it on the old HTLAL. There's just the initial investment for the receiver, after which I don't believe there's any subscription cost. If I ever buy a house I'll probably go for it!
3 x

Glarus Girl
Languages: English (N) German (B1+) French (A1)

Postby Glarus Girl » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:15 pm

I had a dish installed especially to receive free to air German TV - there are no contacts involved. I get ARTE as well as some Spanish, Arabic and other language channels too but I've set mine up for my favourites. I paid £150 in 2015 and it came with a set top box that I could attach a hard drive to record. When I bought a new TV I got one with Freeview satellite which allowed me to plug the satellite directly into the TV which I also use with the hard drive. I still use a VPN for catchup.

It was well worth it to me as I use it all the time.
4 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt

Postby DaveBee » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:54 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
DaveBee wrote:Reading about the french-german TV channel ARTE, I noticed they are broadcast free on satellite.

Some years ago I had satellite TV, though I did not use it then for language learning. Storms always broke reception, not just periodically but until the storm ended. Later I moved for a while to the desert of New Mexico, where it almost never rained and where reception rarely was blocked.
So keep weather in mind. And although I won't go into it, before you sign a contract with a satellite company, read and understand everything and be sure you get a copy of your signed contract.
A place I worked at once used a satellite internet service provider. That was affected by thunderstorms too.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”