French word order confusing (beginner)

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
morzan000
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

French word order confusing (beginner)

Postby morzan000 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:58 am

I'm confused how when translated there are words that are not there?

Like for example, "que mangent les filles?" That means "what do the girls eat?" But there is no "do" in the sentence? And technically isn't it "what eating the girls?" Why is "the girls" before the word "eating" when "filles" isn't before "mangent"? I feel so confused and dumb. Someone help
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: French word order confusing (beginner)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:12 am

morzan000 wrote:I'm confused how when translated there are words that are not there?

Like for example, "que mangent les filles?" That means "what do the girls eat?" But there is no "do" in the sentence? And technically isn't it "what eating the girls?" Why is "the girls" before the word "eating" when "filles" isn't before "mangent"? I feel so confused and dumb. Someone help

There are numerous ways this sentence could be written:

Que mangent les filles ?
Qu'est-ce que les filles mangent ?
Les filles mangent quoi ?
Qu'est-ce qu'elles mangent, les filles ?

And more still.

Word order varies from language to language and translating from another language into English word for word will always bring up odd results. For that matter translating word for word from almost any language to almost any other language will bring up odd results.

I would advise not to 'fight' this or struggle with it too much. Go with it, accept that other languages are not direct translations word for word of English, keep learning and eventually you will become comfortable with the strangeness of another language.

Anyway the direct translation of 'Que mangent les filles ?' is 'What eat the girls?' or 'What are eating the girls?'

"Do" is an English peculiarity as much as "est-ce que" is a French one. Each language contains it's unique ways of expressing things or asking for things. "Do" is an odd added English word that really could be done without, but it's there and we're accustomed to it.
5 x

morzan000
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

Postby morzan000 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:35 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
morzan000 wrote:I'm confused how when translated there are words that are not there?

There are numerous ways this sentence could be written:

Que mangent les filles ?
Qu'est-ce que les filles mangent ?
Les filles mangent quoi ?
Qu'est-ce qu'elles mangent, les filles ?

And more still.

Word order varies from language to language and translating from another language into English word for word will always bring up odd results. For that matter translating word for word from almost any language to almost any other language will bring up odd results.

I would advise not to 'fight' this or struggle with it too much. Go with it, accept that other languages are not direct translations word for word of English, keep learning and eventually you will become comfortable with the strangeness of another language.

Anyway the direct translation of 'Que mangent les filles ?' is 'What eat the girls?' or 'What are eating the girls?'

"Do" is an English peculiarity as much as "est-ce que" is a French one. Each language contains it's unique ways of expressing things or asking for things. "Do" is an odd added English word that really could be done without, but it's there and we're accustomed to it.

Thank you for explaining.
2 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:06 pm

I'm reminded of this short article about video game localization and the concept of a "literal translation". The source language in question is Japanese rather than French, but it demonstrates points that can apply to translations between any two languages.

[...]There are also many different levels of “literal” to take into account – for example, I’ve met some translators who might consider the NPC above to have a literal translation that looks like:

Here snow’s world, WhiteSnow village. Beautiful silver world enjoy okay?

or:

Here(topic) snow’s world, WhiteSnow village (emphatic implied copula). Beautiful silver world(object) enjoy(familiar request).

They might seem strange, but these versions follow the literal word order of the Japanese line. Word order often takes a center role in certain situations, so this style of translation can be useful sometimes, but I think many would agree that this is perhaps a little too literal and not something people would enjoy reading.[...]

Translating phrases word-for-word can be useful in language learning, for example if you want to make sense of an unfamiliar construction by breaking it down into familiar chunks or if you want to analyze the differences in nuance between two similar phrases. However, translation isn't an exact science, so there's no need to constantly stick to the structure of the source language when trying to transfer meaning into the target language.
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:44 pm

morzan000, first off, as far as I understand, the English language use of "do" as a supporting or auxiliary verb is somewhat unique amongst the Latinate, Germanic, or Slavonic languages.

Do-support (Wikipedia)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do-support

Second, if you are able to construct a sentence such as "que mangent les filles?" without understanding the basic differences between French grammar and English grammar, I would suggest that the study materials you have been using are inadequate as to grammar. As a remedy, I suggest that you acquire a copy of “English Grammar for Students of French” by Jacqueline Morton, published by Olivia & Hill Press, and that you familiarize yourself with its contents.

English Grammar for Students of French (Amazon.com)
https://www.amazon.com/English-Grammar-Students-French-Learning/dp/0934034427/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498660517&sr=8-1&keywords=English+Grammar+for+Students+of+French
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”