Two languages to C1 concurrent or sequential?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Two languages to C1 concurrent or sequential?

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:19 am

Well, all joking aside, I truly wish you rdearman great success in your chosen language. I'm keen to find out what you do decide on! Good luck!
1 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: Two languages to C1 concurrent or sequential?

Postby blaurebell » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:47 am

I think I missed the main discussion, but wanted to still add that I seem to have some success with a process somewhere between concurrent and sequential: I tend to focus on one language for activation, but still maintain my others with passive exposure. Right now I'm trying to push Spanish to C1 and on the side I'm also getting exposure for French and Russian, just reading and watching / listening. Once I'm through with my Spanish study plan - a combination of listening, reading, grammar and output - I'll repeat the same process for French and later Russian while maintaining Spanish less intensively on the side. I also found that despite my many breaks with Spanish I don't tend to lose my level, just my fluency. This even happens with my German and if I don't use it much, I need about a week in Germany to stop making English sentences with German words :oops:
3 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”