How to improve my writing?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

How to improve my writing?

Postby aaleks » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:24 pm

I mean my English writing. I guess that there can be problems with grammar and use of words in my posts. What else? What is the main problem in my writing that I should fix in the first place to make my texts readable?

Sorry, if it isn’t the appropriate section (or question) to ask.
2 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: How to improve my writing?

Postby tomgosse » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:25 pm

aaleks wrote:I mean my English writing. I guess that there can be problems with grammar and use of words in my posts. What else? What is the main problem in my writing that I should fix in the first place to make my texts readable?

Sorry, if it isn’t the appropriate section (or question) to ask.

First of all, this is not an inappropriate question. My suggestion is to find books on writing. I don't know what kind of writing you want to do (fiction or non-fiction) so I would suggest that you look at the books on writing from Writer's Digest. Also, Italki has a notebook section where you can get your writing critiqued.

All the best,
Tom
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:22 pm

tomgosse, thank you for your answer :)
Right now my goal is modest (or I think it is :D ) - I just want to make my posts readable.
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:54 pm

aaleks wrote:tomgosse, thank you for your answer :)
Right now my goal is modest (or I think it is :D ) - I just want to make my posts readable.

So far, they are quite readable. Just keep posting and if you want we can point out any mistakes.
2 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:07 am

tomgosse wrote:
aaleks wrote:tomgosse, thank you for your answer :)

So far, they are quite readable. Just keep posting and if you want we can point out any mistakes.

I hope I will. I mean if something like the recent everyone's ban won't happen :D .
if you want we can point out any mistakes.

I wouldn't mind :)

LesRonces wrote:Your writing is perfectly readable :) To improve though the boring answer is read more, write more. Looking up how to phrase things will improve your writing over time.

Thank you :)
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:47 am

You might want to put into your signature a request for corrections of errors in English. Most people here would be too polite to point out a mistake unless you really ask for it. :)
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:38 pm

rdearman wrote:You might want to put into your signature a request for corrections of errors in English. Most people here would be too polite to point out a mistake unless you really ask for it. :)

Done :)
1 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:13 pm

Read writers who are considered to have excellent style.

Most famous and/or successful writers have average to terrible style. Good style is actually unusual.

The gold standard for style in English (clear, readable, beauty through simplicity) is generally considered to be: George Orwell, Graham Greene, Raymond Chandler*.

Also, if you can run your writing through MS Word or some tool that will give you a Fleischman reading difficulty number, I suggest making sure
you don't write above the ninth grade level. This will generally mean breaking long sentences into shorter sentences. That might sound like weird advice if you're a native speaker of another language. But when English gets verbose and overly complicated and overly Latinate ... it stinks. The "ninth grade rule" will keep your stuff readable and lively. Don't think "I'm better educated than this, so I should write in a more long-winded fashion." In English, that's the wrong way to go.

*Fair Warning: By today's standards, Chandler is wildly politically incorrect. If that is a problem, stick with the other two.
4 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:40 pm

Xmmm wrote:Read writers who are considered to have excellent style.

Most famous and/or successful writers have average to terrible style. Good style is actually unusual.

The gold standard for style in English (clear, readable, beauty through simplicity) is generally considered to be: George Orwell, Graham Greene, Raymond Chandler*.

Thank you :) And for your warning too. I will keep it in mind.

Xmmm wrote:This will generally mean breaking long sentences into shorter sentences. That might sound like weird advice if you're a native speaker of another language. But when English gets verbose and overly complicated and overly Latinate ... it stinks. The "ninth grade rule" will keep your stuff readable and lively. Don't think "I'm better educated than this, so I should write in a more long-winded fashion." In English, that's the wrong way to go.

In my case that happens not only because of the reasons you listed, it's just a habit, a way of thinking. But I will try to relearn.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:30 am

aaleks wrote:How to improve my writing?

Aaleks, in your siggy you invite people to correct your English, but I believe many people would be reluctant to derail discussions just to talk about where you should have put that adjective instead. I suggest you use this thread as your corrections thread, and in your signature invite people to correct your English in this thread, giving the link. This way, you can ask further questions to your heart's content, and other members can join in the discussion, too.
4 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”