Finding Images for Flashcard Vocabulary

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Re: Finding Images for Flashcard Vocabulary

Postby neofight78 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:26 am

Most of the time it's not really worth the effort, and is certainly problematic for anything other than concrete objects. However I do occasionally use images when the word decribes an object that has no equivalent word in my native language or is a bit technical. For example a word for a particular kind of boat may be best represented with a picture. So it can be handy but only in rare cases where it really does help.

I do use audio on all my flashcards because Russian stress is hard to predict, and of course it does give some unquantifiable learning boost. If I was less geeky and unable to automate so much then this also may not be worth it. But certainly I think in general adding audio trumps adding pictures.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:43 am

I think a better method would be to take a picture of the thing with your phone and create a card as you come across it. It would give you access to everyday concrete items mostly, but would be quick and painless.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:32 pm

I have a bunch of visual dictionaries for first access to a language (usually only 1000 words or so) I use that as a study aid.

Cards are for testing not learning.
Keep them a simple to make as possible. (Oh, how I lie).
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Most of the time it's not really worth the effort. :D
0 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:22 am

I ageee that it's not usually worth it. I usually generate my anki cards with only text and I only add images if I know that the picture is more helpful than the text. Sometimes I don't realize how helpful a picture is for a card until I see it a few times in my anki deck and realize that I still don't actually know that card ie colors or animals ( it's easier to rmemeber with pictures than words) . I add pictures as I do reviews and notice some cards are more tricky to remember. Like others have said most of time it's not worth the effort so I probably have like 1% with a picture or something because I have so many cards that I've accumulated over time.

There's a bunch of cards I have that are screenshots from Japanese talk variety shows but the whole point of that is to eliminate the step of writing out the text and having a reminder of the context so it's efficient. It also works for generating cloze deletion cards with ms paint. Plus for Japanese tv usually the text is HUGE so it's totally conducive to generating anki cards ( I wish Korean tv would make their tv text bigger. I wonder if everyone korea has huge tvs or something. I usually make the show full screen then take the screenshot then take the text chunk using mspaint to generate the card to make it readable!!).
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”