3 Month Plan - Writing (thoughts welcomed)

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
the1whoknocks
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate)

Probably 'gonna' be next: Portuguese
Mayby one day: French & Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5253

Re: 3 Month Plan - Writing (thoughts welcomed)

Postby the1whoknocks » Fri May 26, 2017 6:51 am

Stelle wrote:Although not exactly the same, I did something similar during a week-long intensive Spanish class in Guatemala. I was working one-on-one with a teacher for four hours a day, and I was interested in both improving my Spanish and learning more about Guatemalan culture. Every day I chose a local newspaper article and read it intensively, pulling out new vocabulary and noticing grammar points that I needed to work on. From there, I wrote an opinion piece and a list of 8-10 questions based on (or inspired by) the article.

A good chunk of my class time the following day focused on the article. We edited my writing together, my teacher gave me tips to improve, and then we spent upwards of an hour discussing the questions that I had prepared. The time passed quickly and it was both challenging and enjoyable. I saw a definite improvement in my writing over the course of only a week.

I've thought about doing something similar once a week with my current tutor, an italki tutor from Spain. Right now I'm focusing on Italian for the six-week challenge, but once July comes, I'll have a lot more time for languages.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this! I may even join you come July.

Thanks, Stelle. Today, I had a look at your log and saw where you laid out what a 'typical day' looked like during your intensive classes. I drew a lot of inspiration from that post. Also, it would be great to write with you!

I ended up commiting to much more time than I had originally envisioned, and the plan isn't perfect, but I'm ready to get started. Changes can always be made along the way. I considered turning this into a log, but that would have meant potentially updating in two places at once. I've decided to stick to my current log for progress updates on this 'challenge'.

Thanks again to everyone who lended their input. It was very helpful. Wish me luck!
0 x
"Wax on, wax off" - Mr. Myagi

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Fri May 26, 2017 8:17 am

The plan looks good. As you know, the only way it could fail is if you don't do it.

I'd be keen to follow a log about your progress with this writing plan; do you have a log?
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

the1whoknocks
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate)

Probably 'gonna' be next: Portuguese
Mayby one day: French & Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5253

Postby the1whoknocks » Sat May 27, 2017 4:19 am

jeffers wrote:The plan looks good. As you know, the only way it could fail is if you don't do it.

I'd be keen to follow a log about your progress with this writing plan; do you have a log?

Thanks, jeffers! It's quite the change, since routines like the one above are not something I usually do. Still, I'm willing to try something new. Only time will tell what effect it will have, or if I'll stick to it, but I'll be detailing the experience here.

This scene from Katrate Kid has been playing in my mind all day, and was an unlikely reminder of the role commitment - I'm all in.
1 x
"Wax on, wax off" - Mr. Myagi

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Re: Forums

Postby coldrainwater » Sat May 27, 2017 9:21 pm

the1whoknocks wrote:In terms of types of forums I’d be interested in, I’d say they would involve: business, politics/ current events, economics, health & wellness, philosophy, gaming, travel, language learning, literature or anywhere one could learn and talk about random things. Really, I’d be interested to see any forum that meets your criteria, and that you like.
For much of this stuff, I think Quora might be a fantastic option.
Also, I had to chuckle to myself after learning that ‘google-fu’ is not a site used to search for forums. Thanks a lot for those search tips!

Great, I'll PM you a list or post it in a place you can't miss (like your log) as I get more resources. Using my years of forum experience, I can say that

http://www.chw.net/foro/

will likely be a good hardware forum oriented around technology. I like that they have a good site design, active community, and general section where you can talk about many topics. At a glance, it looks like I could probably abandon my English language hardware forums in exchange for CHW and I wouldn't miss much. That makes me feel pretty good about that forum as a first impression.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”