All dressed and nowhere to go for DELE C2

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

All dressed and nowhere to go for DELE C2

Postby s_allard » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:45 am

After being suspended from this forum for bad behaviour last year, I concentrated on preparing for the DELE C2 Spanish exam in November 2016. I was really primed and at the top of my form - at least according to my tutors - when I learned that the that no DELE exams would be held in Montreal at that time. Here is the message I received from the coordinator in the fall of 2016:

Estimado Serge:
 En noviembre no va a haber convocatoria del examen DELE en Montreal. Las próximas convocatorias en 2017 tendrán lugar en las siguiente fechas :

Sábado, 13 de mayo de 2017. Plazo hasta el 29 de marzo de 2017. Niveles: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 y C2.

Sábado, 25 de noviembre de 2017. Plazo hasta el 11 de octubre de 2017. Niveles: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 y C2.

Si tienes cualquier otra pregunta sobre los exámenes DELE no dudes en contactarme.
Saludos,

I was a bit peeved because I wanted to really get this out of the way but there was nothing more I could do but keep on practicing and bide my time. But at the end of March 2017 when I wanted to sign up for the C2 exam I received the following e-mail from the same coordinator. (I've left the original spelling mistakes)

Estimado Serge:
Efectivamente, la convocatoria del DELE de mayo de 2017 de hará en al Colegio Marie de France.

EL nivel más alto que se va a ofrecer es el C1, de todos modos, como pone en la página web de Marie de France, el nivel C1 se dará si hay un número suficiente de inscripciones. 
Tenemos ya muchas inscripciones de los niveles A2/B1, A2, B1 y B2, pero no muchas del nivel C1.

Si estás interesado en pasar el nivel C1 tienes que enviar la inscripción lo más rápido posible, si hay más inscripciones en los próximos días se hará el examen, sino habrá que esperar a otra convocatoria.

Si tienes preguntas no dudes en contactarme.
Saludos cordiales,

As the message says, the highest exam level will be C1, and even that is doubtful, because of the low number of registrations. What I'm finding out is that the DELE C2 level is in fact very rarely given here in Montreal for lack of the minimum number of candidates. No-one seems to remember when the last exam took place.

In fact, it's hard to find out where the C2 exam really does take place in eastern Canada. I know there's no problem in Europe and much of Latin America but I really can't envisage travelling a long distance for an exam that I want to pass just for fun.

So, my question for the North American and hispanophile members of the forum is: Does anyone know where the DELE C2 exam is regularly given in eastern Canada or northeastern USA? Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
3 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: All dressed and nowhere to go for DELE C2

Postby iguanamon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:28 pm

Welcome back, s_allard. You've hit on the point that I always make about these tests- expense of travel leaving the island, being the main factor for me. At least in your case, your best bet would most likely be to take a train to the DELE test centers in New York or Boston. Maybe you could combine it with a mini-vacation. What a shame you can't take the test in Montreal. New York and Boston are such very expensive cities.
3 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:11 pm

I was wondering what happened to you. I am glad you're back.

Maybe the link below will be of help. There's an online tool that can help you pinpoint the closest center. The sites are disorganized. I remember following a number of links trying to find a local center and ending up on a highscool web page that had no mention of DELE.
New York is the safest bet but do use the tool:

https://examenes.cervantes.es/es/dele/donde

DELE thread
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5375

Have you tried contacting other Canadian centers?

http://www.spanishunlimited.com/su/dele ... -spain.asp

Emailing them does not always work.
Last edited by reineke on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm more than willing to bet that you'd be able to find it offered in New York City. A quick google search shows that is being offered in May but you would have needed to register on March 29th. You might also want to contact some of the institutions that are on the Cervantes website.
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:13 pm

Using the online tool I found out that in Ottawa three centers have C2 exams scheduled for May. You can call them and ask if the exams are being held or if they have been canceled.

The next exam date for those centers is in November 2017.

Culturas Inscripciones abiertas para DELE
157 York Street. Ottawa, On. K1N 7J3
OTTAWA
Canadá
spanishschool@culturas.ca
+613 789 71 23

Noviembre 2017 C2 Sábado, 25/11/2017

Lycée Claudel Inscripciones abiertas para DELE
1635 Riverside Drive, Ottawa, ON, K1G 0E5
OTTAWA
Canadá
edgardo.pulido@claudel.org
+1 613 733 8522

Universidad de Ottawa Inscripciones abiertas para DELE
Département des Langues et Littératures Modernes / 70, av. Laurier Oficina 124, Ottawa (ON) K1N 6N5
OTTAWA
Canadá
labantor@uottawa.ca
+1 613 562 5800 Ext. 3751
Tipo de Certificación: DELE

0 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:10 pm

Thanks to all for the tips but I should point out that I looked at exam sites in Ottawa and Toronto and while all the sites are listed as possible C2 venues, in fact they only offer the exam if enough people register. This is the problem with the site in Montreal. The link from the official DELE master site says that the Montreal location offers the C2 exam when in fact it doesn't and has not done so in years because of limited demand. What is difficult to find out is what centers actually have offered the exam recently. I imagine that in a city like New York there must be at least a center that has enough students to offer the exam. The question is which one.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”