Best german grammar resources

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kundera
White Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C1 to C2), German (beginner), Spanish (passive speaker)

Best german grammar resources

Postby Kundera » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:40 am

Hello,

What are the best books on german grammar in the "as a foreign language" outlook (Deutsch als fremdsprache)?
Has anyone successfully mastered this issue through any other sort of resource?

I've been trying to use FSI, but it is quite boring, whereas duolingo's method doesn't aim to actually teach grammar (I'm not criticizing its approach). Still, I'm willing to try out a more straight method, namely, learn grammar rules as I did with my mother tongue. Has anyone tried that? Does it works?
0 x
German 10K SRS cards: 701 / 10000
German Duolingo: 28 / 100

English 10K SRS cards: 0 / 10000
English 10K pages: 150 / 10000

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Best german grammar resources

Postby Cainntear » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Kundera wrote:Hello,

What are the best books on german grammar in the "as a foreign language" outlook (Deutsch als fremdsprache)?

I've been trying to use FSI, but it is quite boring, whereas duolingo's method doesn't aim to actually teach grammar (I'm not criticizing its approach). Still, I'm willing to try out a more straight method, namely, learn grammar rules as I did with my mother tongue. Has anyone tried that? Does it works?

I picked up a Langenscheidt grammar book ("German grammar in a nutshell") while I was travelling through Germany, and I quite liked it. Sadly it got wet and went mouldy (I was cycling) so I didn't get to use it very much.

It's quite a small book (and I don't know what other languages it has been translated to) so it's not a complete course, but for me I thought it was really easy to use as a reference book, and I could generally find the rules I was looking for very quickly.
1 x

Thunter
Yellow Belt
Languages: -

Re: Best german grammar resources

Postby Thunter » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:11 pm

Cainntear wrote:
Kundera wrote:Hello,

I picked up a Langenscheidt grammar book ("German grammar in a nutshell") while I was travelling through Germany, and I quite liked it. Sadly it got wet and went mouldy (I was cycling) so I didn't get to use it very much.

It's quite a small book (and I don't know what other languages it has been translated to) so it's not a complete course, but for me I thought it was really easy to use as a reference book, and I could generally find the rules I was looking for very quickly.

I share your opinion and believe that it's one of the best grammar books. I do have the same book for English, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Arabic, Russian and Chinese and all of them are good. I also had a look into the German version and it's well written. However I don't need it :)
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”