Questions about Dutch sentences

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Re: Questions about Dutch sentences

Postby Tristano » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:04 am

As far as I can tell, Tommus has a quite good passive understanding and his grammar, even though not at a b2 level, is also not a1. But is that even important? Let's not forget that we are all learners.
2 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Tristano wrote:As far as I can tell, Tommus has a quite good passive understanding and his grammar, even though not at a b2 level, is also not a1. But is that even important? Let's not forget that we are all learners.

Hoi Tristano

His grammar is not at a b2 level, I agree, but maybe you're right as well that it isn't at a1 level. Probably a2, when you would learn the separable verbs and the things that he asks on this thread.

His pronunciation is a1 but I haven't heard him speak in Dutch, this is from his comments and questions.

Yes, we are all learners, but I think that we should be honest about our level in our foreign langauges.

tarvos wrote:Of course it's wrong, but that doesn't mean we have to all beat down on him for saying it...

Tommus ignores me anyway. I gave him some answers earlier on this thread to help him with his questions and he ignored me every time. He has put B2 Dutch in his profile which is a lie.

But ok, I will stop now if you want because you are both nice (tarvos and tristano).
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:47 pm

Or maybe he just doesn't tax the levels the way we do (in Canada they don't use that system after all).

He should be honest, but I wouldn't really bother about it - I get so many students, even at the B-levels, who understand Dutch very very well but have trouble consistently using these grammar rules properly.

As to why he ignores you, that's something you need to settle with him (or probably not).
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:59 pm

tarvos wrote:Or maybe he just doesn't tax the levels the way we do (in Canada they don't use that system after all).

He should be honest, but I wouldn't really bother about it - I get so many students, even at the B-levels, who understand Dutch very very well but have trouble consistently using these grammar rules properly.

As to why he ignores you, that's something you need to settle with him (or probably not).

the name B2 is the European one.

No, I won't settle it with him. I hate him too. but that's separate of his lie about B2.

anyway, if he wants to lie about his Dutch then he will continue I suppose. I give up.

we should agree that we don't agree because we won't agree at all and then that's the best solution. I mean tommus not you (tarvos or tristano).
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:59 pm

vogeltje wrote:...I give up. we should agree that we don't agree because we won't agree at all and then that's the best solution. ...

Yes, do give up. It is not your problem, and it would only stir up unpleasant emotions if you decided to press the point. Some discussions should just not be carried through to the bitter end, and this is one of them.

There are a lot of concrete things to be discussed in the Dutch language (without reference to any of its learners) and that's the direction this thread should return to.
5 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:16 am

Iversen wrote:
vogeltje wrote:...I give up. we should agree that we don't agree because we won't agree at all and then that's the best solution. ...

Yes, do give up. It is not your problem, and it would only stir up unpleasant emotions if you decided to press the point. Some discussions should just not be carried through to the bitter end, and this is one of them.

There are a lot of concrete things to be discussed in the Dutch language (without reference to any of its learners) and that's the direction this thread should return to.

Ok, I have given up about that now.
0 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Neither Google Translate or DeepL Translator did very well on this headline: Astronomen zijn 300 kilometer grote ruimterots kwijt.

Google Translate: Astronomers have lost 300 kilometers of spacecraft.

DeepL Translator: Astronomers have lost 300 kilometres of large spacecraft.

Better translation: Astronomers have lost 300 kilometre-sized space rocks.

Source
0 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Look at the sentence again and try and figure out what the mistake in your translation is. Yours isn't correct either.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:45 pm

tarvos wrote:Look at the sentence again and try and figure out what the mistake in your translation is. Yours isn't correct either.

great answer :)

The headline from tommus's article makes tommus's mistake simple to correct:

tommus source's title wrote: "Het is een zaak waar Spoorloos-presentator Derk Bolt zijn handen aan zou volhebben. Een 300 kilometer grote ruimterots wordt al sinds 1995 vermist."

I have made the word enormous which can only mean one thing - which tommus mistranslated and which tarvos said to figure out.

Tommus, you didn't read the title of your source.
Last edited by Jar-Ptitsa on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Vogeltje: you're right, but you promised not to continue the discussion with Tommus !
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”