Smallwhite needs help with English expressions

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Russian, 3/3 (DLPT, 2021) 2+ (OPI, 2021)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT, 2019)
BCS, 3L/2+R/2S (DLPT in, oh God, 1999!)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Smallwhite needs help with English expressions

Postby IronMike » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:16 am

They both are stomach ache to me. I wouldn't use belly ache except with a young child.
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:37 am

Hi!

I texted this the other day: "I'm sorry, it's actually 4. I just silly wrote 7 because xxx".

"I just silly wrote" means "I just wrote sillily" :D I know the expression is used, I can google it, but it seems rare. Is it maybe regional or, er... old-fashioned...? Do you use it?

Thanks!
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

DaveAgain
Blue Belt
Languages: Eng (n)

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:03 pm

smallwhite wrote:I texted this the other day: "I'm sorry, it's actually 4. I just silly wrote 7 because xxx".

"I just silly wrote" means "I just wrote sillily" :D I know the expression is used, I can google it, but it seems rare. Is it maybe regional or, er... old-fashioned...? Do you use it?
I'm not familiar with that usage.

I'd be more likely to say "..silly of me", "just being silly", "for some silly reason", "silly me" etc.
4 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish, Norwegian
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:33 pm

smallwhite wrote:"I just silly wrote" means "I just wrote sillily" :D I know the expression is used, I can google it, but it seems rare. Is it maybe regional or, er... old-fashioned...? Do you use it?
I would use it, but most likely do so playfully with more a linguistically competent friend, because while the word isn't commonly used, its meaning is clear to if the listener's inner "English parser" is healthy and active.
3 x
Ho-hum, waiting for the latest neurological relapse to pass.
Study tips for (mental) invalids welcome!

golyplot
Blue Belt
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:03 pm

teapot wrote:Curious that stomach ache is two words, but bellyache is just one. I wonder if that is because it appears most as a verb.

Strangely, I always considered stomachache to be one word. I'm surprised to see it written as two words here. I would say I've never seen it that way before, but that just invites people to bury with me with responses that "no, that's the standard way things are done across the pond" or whatever.

smallwhite wrote:I texted this the other day: "I'm sorry, it's actually 4. I just silly wrote 7 because xxx".

That just sounds un-grammatical to me. It doesn't even sound like internet slang, it just sounds like a mistake. Perhaps people are using it as slang nowadays, but if so, I haven't seen it.
Last edited by golyplot on Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: native es, great en, advanced la, interm fr zh

Postby Querneus » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:38 pm

golyplot wrote:Strangely, I always considered stomachache to be one word. I'm surprised to see it written as two words here. I would say I've never seen it that before, but that just invites people to bury with me with responses that "no, that's the standard way things are done across the pond" or whatever.

I was very surprised to see it as two words too. For what it's worth, the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary only includes it as "stomach ache", while both the Oxford Advanced American Dictionary and two Merriam-Webster dictionaries I checked only have it as "stomachache"... There may be an element of across-the-pond differences.
2 x

DaveAgain
Blue Belt

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:54 pm

golyplot wrote:Strangely, I always considered stomachache to be one word. I'm surprised to see it written as two words here. I would say I've never seen it that before, but that just invites people to bury with me with responses that "no, that's the standard way things are done across the pond" or whatever.
Excepting medicos, I think that's probably something that everyone has their own changable rules for.
0 x

golyplot
Blue Belt
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:58 pm

DaveAgain wrote:Excepting medicos, I think that's probably something that everyone has their own changable rules for.

Huh, I've never seen "medico" used in English before. I had to look it up.
1 x

DaveAgain
Blue Belt

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:04 pm

golyplot wrote:
DaveAgain wrote:Excepting medicos, I think that's probably something that everyone has their own changable rules for.

Report to engineering. They will update your software, or recycle you for parts.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:17 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
golyplot wrote:

Report to engineering. They will update your software, or recycle you for parts.

I think you'll find that medicos is an Americanism.
1 x
Anyone who thinks assembly language programming is difficult, obviously hasn't used Rust.

The Autodidactic Podcast
The Lollygagging Podcast

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”