Smallwhite needs help with English expressions

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Smallwhite needs help with English expressions

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:03 pm

smallwhite wrote:I texted this the other day: "I'm sorry, it's actually 4. I just silly wrote 7 because xxx".

"I just silly wrote" means "I just wrote sillily" :D I know the expression is used, I can google it, but it seems rare. Is it maybe regional or, er... old-fashioned...? Do you use it?
I'm not familiar with that usage.

I'd be more likely to say "..silly of me", "just being silly", "for some silly reason", "silly me" etc.
4 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:33 pm

smallwhite wrote:"I just silly wrote" means "I just wrote sillily" :D I know the expression is used, I can google it, but it seems rare. Is it maybe regional or, er... old-fashioned...? Do you use it?
I would use it, but most likely do so playfully with more a linguistically competent friend, because while the word isn't commonly used, its meaning is clear to if the listener's inner "English parser" is healthy and active.
3 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:03 pm

teapot wrote:Curious that stomach ache is two words, but bellyache is just one. I wonder if that is because it appears most as a verb.

Strangely, I always considered stomachache to be one word. I'm surprised to see it written as two words here. I would say I've never seen it that way before, but that just invites people to bury with me with responses that "no, that's the standard way things are done across the pond" or whatever.

smallwhite wrote:I texted this the other day: "I'm sorry, it's actually 4. I just silly wrote 7 because xxx".

"I just silly wrote" means "I just wrote sillily" :D I know the expression is used, I can google it, but it seems rare. Is it maybe regional or, er... old-fashioned...? Do you use it?

That just sounds un-grammatical to me. It doesn't even sound like internet slang, it just sounds like a mistake. Perhaps people are using it as slang nowadays, but if so, I haven't seen it.
Last edited by golyplot on Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:38 pm

golyplot wrote:Strangely, I always considered stomachache to be one word. I'm surprised to see it written as two words here. I would say I've never seen it that before, but that just invites people to bury with me with responses that "no, that's the standard way things are done across the pond" or whatever.

I was very surprised to see it as two words too. For what it's worth, the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary only includes it as "stomach ache", while both the Oxford Advanced American Dictionary and two Merriam-Webster dictionaries I checked only have it as "stomachache"... There may be an element of across-the-pond differences.
2 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:54 pm

golyplot wrote:Strangely, I always considered stomachache to be one word. I'm surprised to see it written as two words here. I would say I've never seen it that before, but that just invites people to bury with me with responses that "no, that's the standard way things are done across the pond" or whatever.
Excepting medicos, I think that's probably something that everyone has their own changable rules for.
0 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)

Postby golyplot » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:58 pm

DaveAgain wrote:Excepting medicos, I think that's probably something that everyone has their own changable rules for.

Huh, I've never seen "medico" used in English before. I had to look it up.
1 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:04 pm

golyplot wrote:
DaveAgain wrote:Excepting medicos, I think that's probably something that everyone has their own changable rules for.

Report to engineering. They will update your software, or recycle you for parts.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:17 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
golyplot wrote:

Report to engineering. They will update your software, or recycle you for parts.

I think you'll find that medicos is an Americanism.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:34 pm

rdearman wrote:I think you'll find that medicos is an Americanism.

Hey, don't pin that on us!
0 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:23 pm

golyplot wrote:Strangely, I always considered stomachache to be one word. I'm surprised to see it written as two words here. I would say I've never seen it that way before, but that just invites people to bury with me with responses that "no, that's the standard way things are done across the pond" or whatever.

In Canada (not sure which side of the pond that puts me relative to you), I see both stomachache (which seems wrong to me) and stomach ache, and bellyache and belly ache.

Myself, I avoid the controversy by using the phrase "tummy ache," for a number of reasons:

- to identify what is often a generalized abdominal discomfort as a "stomach ache" (or if you must, a "stomachache") brings a precision that is often unwarranted. The stomach represents only a portion of the abdomen, and I think it is challenging for one to be able to identify any particular abdominal pain or discomfort as being located specifically in the stomach per se as opposed to elsewhere in that goop that constitutes one's innards

- "belly" rhymes with "jelly" and nothing good comes from anything that rhymes with jelly. Other than vermicelli. Due apologies to anyone named Kelly, Shell(e)y, Elly or Nelly - not your fault in getting caught up with the smelly Machiavelli group of bad eggs

- also, I know many who equate "belly" with excess abdominal fat, so that a skinny person can be said not to have a belly (whereas hopefully even skinny folks have a stomach)

- "tummy" - being essentially a childish, nursery sort of word, it is a more comforting term to use when one is in discomfort or distress. "Tummy aches" go away 'cause they are childish minor things and can be best treated by a lollipop or kind, soothing words from a loved one.
6 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”