Smallwhite needs help with English expressions

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: Smallwhite needs help with English expressions

Postby MamaPata » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:06 am

smallwhite wrote:Question: Do kids still say this? It's a sound you make when you see another kid do something he's not allowed to do.

"Ummmmmmm! I'm gonna tell mummy!"

Thanks!

Disclaimer: it's been a few years since I was a kid and I'm not really around them anymore.

But yes, that sounds normal to me.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:18 am

smallwhite wrote:Question: Do kids still say this? It's a sound you make when you see another kid do something he's not allowed to do.

Thanks!

I wouldn't represent that sound with "ummm". In my mind "umm" is pretty much reserved for thinking between speaking The sound that comes to mind when getting ready to tattle is the "oo" at the end of "who" (in my American English), but it could equally be "ohhhhh" or "uh oh" (and of course we say mommy, not mummy here).
And yes my kids say that sort of thing all the time.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks!

I don’t know, sorry but I can tell you the appropriate rejoinder in Australia is “Dobber!” “Don’t be a Dobber!” or for the younger folk “Dibber Dobber”.
2 x

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Postby Ingaræð » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks!

"Ommmmmm! I'm telling [Mum/Dad/the teacher] on you!" was standard when I was a kid*. "Ommmm!" (roughly /ɒm/, I think) is often used on its own, because it exclusively means you've caught someone doing something they shouldn't. Exclaiming "ommmm!" and running off automatically implies you're going to tell on that person. The word might be Wenglish, because I don't think I've heard it outside Wales, and I've never seen it written down anywhere. To me, 'ummm' implies uncertainty, so I wouldn't have used it in this situation, but someone who doesn't have an 'ommm'-word might do.

*Although obviously never directed at me, because I was a little angel. :mrgreen:

smallwhite wrote:How do you shout for help in these situations?

I was once given the advice that if a guy was trying to sexually assault me (particularly in a place where there are few people around), I should shout, "Fire!". Two reasons for this:

• the attacker will be momentarily confused by you shouting 'fire', and you may have a chance to escape;
  • anyone within earshot would be more likely to come to your aid if you shout 'fire' rather than 'help' (which makes sense, but is a depressing thought nonetheless).

The advice was specifically aimed at females, but I see no reason why it wouldn't also work for a guy, or if you were being mugged.
3 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Ingaræð wrote:I was once given the advice that if a guy was trying to sexually assault me (particularly in a place where there are few people around), I should shout, "Fire!". Two reasons for this:

• the attacker will be momentarily confused by you shouting 'fire', and you may have a chance to escape;
  • anyone within earshot would be more likely to come to your aid if you shout 'fire' rather than 'help' (which makes sense, but is a depressing thought nonetheless).

The advice was specifically aimed at females, but I see no reason why it wouldn't also work for a guy, or if you were being mugged.

If I'm ever mugged by an armed attacker I think I'll try to forget this piece of advice :-)
2 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:42 pm

Ingaræð wrote:"Ommmm!" (roughly /ɒm/, I think) is often used on its own...
The word might be Wenglish, because I don't think I've heard it outside Wales, ...

I learned it in New Zealand when I was little. The voice in my head says "umm" rhyming with "sum" but it could be wrong. And yes, often used on its own.

I love how I get all sorts of unexpected responses in this thread, self-defence and all that :P
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Postby Ingaræð » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:38 pm

smallwhite wrote:
The word might be Wenglish, because I don't think I've heard it outside Wales, ...

I learned it in New Zealand when I was little. The voice in my head says "umm" rhyming with "sum" but it could be wrong. And yes, often used on its own.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough...

'Umm' (rhymes with 'sum') is a standard word in (I think) all forms of English: an "interjection implying hesitancy" (Wiktionary).

'Omm' (rhymes with 'bomb' [UK/AU/NZ]) is a different word that I believe is unique to Wenglish: an interjection implying that you've just caught someone doing something that they shouldn't, and used mainly by children (I can't find a dictionary reference).

For me, the two words are not interchangeable. I've never heard 'umm' used with the specific meaning of 'omm' in UK/US/CA/AU/NZ English, but your mileage may vary...
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Ingaræð wrote:
smallwhite wrote:

'Umm' (rhymes with 'sum') is a standard word in (I think) all forms of English: an "interjection implying hesitancy" (Wiktionary).

'Omm' (rhymes with 'bomb' [UK/AU/NZ]) is a different word that I believe is unique to Wenglish: an interjection implying that you've just caught someone doing something that they shouldn't, and used mainly by children (I can't find a dictionary reference).

For me, the two words are not interchangeable. I've never heard 'umm' used with the specific meaning of 'omm' in UK/US/CA/AU/NZ English, but your mileage may vary...

You were perfectly clear. I was asking about "interjection implying that you've just caught someone doing something that they shouldn't", I learned it in New Zealand, in my head it rhymes with "sum" but things in my head could be wrong.
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:31 pm

Ingaræð wrote:
smallwhite wrote:

In London, as a kid, I definitely heard the first pronounciation used with the second meaning.
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:58 am

reineke wrote:I love all feathered animals.

I didn't understand this sentence above from this post. Is it about me? What does it mean and what is the animal? And how come reineke doesn't want me to understand it?

Thanks!
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”