Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
kylemw
Languages: English (N), Malay (N), Bahasa Indonesia (intermediate), Chinese (intermediate), Russian (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Korean (beginner)

Re: Advice, tips or tricks for learning Korean

Postby kylemw » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:38 am

I'm just wondering if anyone here has tried Viki Learn so far and what are their thoughts about it? It's a beta site that came out recently and has clickable dual-subs and also quizzes.

https://welcome.learn.viki.com
0 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:54 pm

kylemw wrote:I'm just wondering if anyone here has tried Viki Learn so far and what are their thoughts about it?

I believe LLORG user @AndyMeg does, at least. You might ask him.
0 x

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:01 am

lichtrausch wrote:
druckfehler wrote:I think Koreans can be more expressive about looks in general.

Within minutes of meeting my employer in Korea, she commented (in a positive way) about my appearance.

In a bad way. My sister refuses to live and work in Korea because Koreans are nosy and care about your marital status, the car you drive etc. Not to mention Korean work culture is toxic. In Australia we would never comment on the physical appearance unless that has an impact on the work professionalism.

This is a Korean speaking by the way. I love how in Australia I can go to the shops in my bathrobe and thongs.
2 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:34 am

eido wrote:
kylemw wrote:I'm just wondering if anyone here has tried Viki Learn so far and what are their thoughts about it?

I believe LLORG user @AndyMeg does, at least. You might ask him.

eido, I'm a "her" not a "him" ;)
0 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

eido
Blue Belt

Postby eido » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:41 am

AndyMeg wrote:eido, I'm a "her" not a "him" ;)

Ah, I thought because you had “Andy” in your username you were a guy. That’s a shock.
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:48 am

eido wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:eido, I'm a "her" not a "him" ;)

Ah, I thought because you had “Andy” in your username you were a guy. That’s a shock.

"Andy" is short for a female spanish name :lol: (but I understand your confusion. In english it is mainly used for males)
0 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

eido
Blue Belt

Postby eido » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:51 am

AndyMeg wrote:"Andy" is short for a female spanish name :lol: (but I understand your confusion. In english it is mainly used for males)

My apologies. I'll adjust (to this to information). :lol:
2 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:16 pm

I recommend spending time native material that use common, useful words and grammar like song lyrics or talk variety shows. If you want to learn from korean dramas you have to go through the lines using a script 대본 ( google the drama name with daebon and you may find it) or subs (some dramas actually have korean subs available ie vlive or fans making them - search 자막 with the drama title) instead of just watching with english subs or no subs. I also recommend re-listening to the drama many times after watching it and going through the lines to get the most benefit. I think you're better off not learning from k-dramas at this stage because it's just too difficult and you may waste a lot of time trying to figure out stuff that's not common/useful.

I highly recommend checking out this person's log
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9646
1 x

ironfist
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Different

Postby ironfist » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:58 am

Korean is the only language I've studied where I can watch a show and not pick up a single word.

Elementary Korean is one of the few books that doesn't suck.

I've written about my difficulties learning Korean a lot on the previous forum.

For some reason everyone on this forum thinks it's easy. I dunno, man. Look, I'm learning Russian now. Russian is hard. It does stuff English doesn't. Russian is the only language I've studied where I can know all the words I want to say but not know the correct form to use so I have no idea how to say it. However, Russian is easier, because at least I can understand words I know, and the words aren't all 2 syllable homonyms of each other.

Furthermore, I started Korean at 16 and Russian at 36 and Russian is still easier.

Like I don't know, other than watching dramas, which is fun but other than learning a heap about culture, someone won't learn much. I watched them every day for years. Nothing.

Listening to kpop and reading the lyrics for hours a day for years. Nothing. Trying to look up the words in a dictionary (worthless).

Because I listened to them so much I memorized the songs phonetically, yet wrong. I have beautiful kpop songs I still remember from 16 years ago in my brain. No idea what any of the words are besides sarang and yeongwon. And hangsang. But I still remember the singer from JuJu Club pronounces P as F (hago shifu). But I remember being enamored with Korean stuff at that point in my youth.

Essentially, I have no point.
2 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:39 pm

ironfist wrote:Korean is the only language I've studied where I can watch a show and not pick up a single word.
Being unable to remember even a single word happened to me more than once with more than one language.

For some reason everyone on this forum thinks it's easy. I dunno, man.

Understandable. People wouldn't want to adapt any idea just because of the sole fact that many others are having it.

Look, I'm learning Russian now. Russian is hard. It does stuff English doesn't. Russian is the only language I've studied where I can know all the words I want to say but not know the correct form to use so I have no idea how to say it. However, Russian is easier, because at least I can understand words I know, and the words aren't all 2 syllable homonyms of each other.
Russian is closer to the one you already have been knowing for a long, long time. And as for the homonyms, Korean has a special role. Because, as they say, it used to be a tonal language (just like Swahili maybe), but then tonality has been dropped. Now that does make a difference. However, I still do consider every single language as something that isn't really difficult.

Before continuing my post, just wanted to mention that I hope that nothing I am writing right now would sound too "instructive" to you ("belehrend" in German, for those speaking it).

It's just that I am, arguably, among this forum's "Sometimes Very Talkative Language Enthusiastic Geekoids" :D. Or maybe the only one? But that doesn't matter too much right now anyway.

So let's continue. Why don't I consider any language really difficult? This is among the things I learned from a well-known traveling polyglot. I don't agree with everything he says about language learning, but I still did collect some mosaic stones when reading his articles, and those of many others.

He says that even Chinese isn't difficult. And this is a tonal language. I fully do agree with him, even if I a pre-A1 Mandarin beginner, and I haven't got the slightest idea about Cantonese.

It is a tonal language, but these tones basically exist in English, too (!).

But Korean isn't even a tonal one. When looking up a few words in a dictionary and listening to their pronounciation, some started to simply stick like glue. And I was doing it with the mindset of "Korean is easy", not "Korean is hard/impossible to learn".

Furthermore, I started Korean at 16 and Russian at 36 and Russian is still easier.

That is a minor surprise to me. But a minor one only. Things like these do happen from time to time.

Essentially, I have no point.
Far from wanting to start any discussion about how one's thoughts affect one's learning process, but there still is something I maybe briefly could mention. Sometimes there could be sort of a mental, well, blockade that doesn't enable one to use one's abilities, even if they do exist.
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”