Anki/SRS strategies for old and new languages

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Mareile
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), French (C1), Dutch (B2), Spanish (B1) Dabbled with and used for traveling: Russian, Georgian, Turkish, Italian

Anki/SRS strategies for old and new languages

Postby Mareile » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:51 pm

Please let me know your opinion on handling Anki decks in the below cases:

I have used Anki now for various languages, first a great success where I started to learn my L3 French, writing the new words from Assimil into Anki each day, later on converting towards a Picture cue-French system rather than English-French reaching finally about 2500 words. Then I abandoned it four weeks into a 5-month volunteer project in France because I was so immersed that it din’t make much sense to click through the cards any longer. Later I passed C1 and moved on to live in Brussels where I sadly get comparatively little exposure to French. Now my Anki French has been laying dormant for over a year and I want to polish up my French vocab. Right now I am considering starting a new deck from scratch: I would read a novel or two with “ Learning with texts”, and just export and study whatever words I didn’t know.

Secondly, I am going to start Spanish and am not sure how to go about it with Anki. Current considerations:
- I had started Italian at some point and completely blew through the "fluent forever" 600 word list in less than four weeks before abandoning Italian later on for Dutch. It was pretty senseless as the words I learned on a given day had nothing to do with the ones in Assimil but I could probably do the same with Spanish. the cards would be Picture-Spanish
- I could sit down and type up all the words of a given day's unit (Assimil/FSI combo) into French-Spanish cards
- I have also been taking Dutch classes where vocab came absolutely natural (well, the whole language feels like a dialect of German at this point) and I never used Anki for that, so I am wondering whether I may skip it for Spanish as well.

Let me know what you think, I am curious about your own experiences!
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”