Homeschoolers united!

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Homeschoolers united!

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:19 pm

tastyonions wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:I didn’t know this! I knew it was illegal in Germany. Unfortunately I feel that it’s a matter of time before governments attempt to shut down homeschooling throughout the world. Can’t have too many free thinkers out there... or any at all. Robots who comply is the desire... with no iRobots! That’s a shame with Sweden, I was beginning to think their government was a breath of fresh air... too good to be true, of course.

Yeah, all of us who attended public school are a bunch of brainless, compliant drones.

Awesome! Now I’ve got the real evidence. Along with me of course bing a fully fledged robot. Thanks for walking into my trap ;) Hahaa, off to the like, sciency building thingy to show them your post... finally a win for me, the robot... i mean for the non-robots... wait, now I’m confused, what am I doing?
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:45 pm

rdearman wrote:I'm interested in why people choose this path since it incurs a number of penalties financially for the parent (in the UK) and some issues for the children later.

In Australia, for us personally, if we take this path it will cost us a lot of money because we will essentially be reduced to one wage. People choose homeschooling for a number of reasons which are generally not financial focused decisions. Those reasons or convictions are strong enough to put up with loss of income or other such financial penalties as you suggest. Reasons include lack of confidence in the education system, a desire to have more control over their children’s lives, religious reasons, philisophical beliefs, health reasons.

Here are some examples. In France as of this year, for children born after Jan 2018, it is now law to vaccinate them with 11 vaccines before they attend school or your child cannot attend school. The law until this was 3 vaccines, until the population became extremely mistrusting of vaccines in France. The government stated that they would look into it in a balanced way. The result = more vaccinations by law. Similar things are trending that way in Australia, and our PM’s wife has loads of shares in these companies, just like the French health minister has questionable connections to such companies. In Italy it is 11 or 12 as of last year and many parents who feel they have grounds for medical exemptions are being ignored. They have voiced concerns and have stated for many of them that they may cross the border into Austria or Switzerland to avoid this law. Another way, in France or Australia at least, is homeschooling. These laws, imo, do not come into existence because they care about the common good of man. No, the vast majority of governments have signed on to Agenda 21, to vastly reduce human population globally. And with links to these companies, you think these leaders care and are in control? No they are doing what they are told! And what they are told is to control populations and pretend they care for our well being. How is it that these companies who have been sued for damages and paid out MASSIVE amounts in law suits and are responsable for deaths around the world every single day on a massive scale, they love their bottom line, how is it that we trust such companies are wanting us all to be healthy little citizens.

If you want to spend time in more than one country, homeschooling allows you to live internationally without being restricted to one or several countries curriculum(s).

In Australia we have some of the worst outcomes in mathematics when compared to other nations. I feel that not every education system, but many, churn out children who are willing to comply, willing to sit for hours on end, so that when they get a job and work they comply, they pay taxes and become a part of the economic system.

What about the safe schooling system in Australia? This is being brought out globally as well. To educate children that despite what sex they are born, they are free to choose. I do not want such rubbish taught to my children. History is taught by the winners. What is taught in schooling is what the government wants to be taught. So is education biased? Is education social engineering? Imo, yes. It makes us think in a certain way, act in a certain way, be focused on certain things. I want to have a say in what my child learns.

My comments are going to raise hairs here or get people all ruffled or have them believe I’m stupid. Whatever. You asked, I’m giving you some reasons.
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:00 pm

PM,... Why man?
I wouldn't even say anything but you make homeschoolers look like nutters with that sort of "defense". The vast majority of homeschoolers are not doing it because of conspiracy theories about the government and fear of rich people controlling the world.
You should have just limited that to the first paragraph. Let's not get our homeschool thread closed
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:59 pm

Ani wrote:PM,... Why man?
I wouldn't even say anything but you make homeschoolers look like nutters with that sort of "defense". The vast majority of homeschoolers are not doing it because of conspiracy theories about the government and fear of rich people controlling the world.
You should have just limited that to the first paragraph. Let's not get our homeschool thread closed

whatever. In other words you’d prefer I walk around half asleep. Like your government gives a shit.

https://www.naturalblaze.com/2018/01/bio-weapons-pentagon.html

Like I’ve said before it’s clear my opinions aren’t welcome here. Most people are simply not willing to stray very far from the official lines. Oooh no, don’t want to look like a nutter....
1 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:06 pm

Hey now, he has been enlightened by YouTube videos and sites that give me a twinge of nostalgia for late '90s Geocities.

High quality sources.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:10 pm

tastyonions wrote:

Hey now, he has been enlightened by YouTube videos and sites that give me a twinge of nostalgia for late '90s Geocities.

High quality sources.

In between doses of medicinal mary jane and my usual suboxone, of course.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:27 pm

I didn't want to start any political thread. I was just curious about the financial implications and commenting on the fact education abilities vary between parents. I am not questioning anyone's reasons just wondering how much the financial burden plays a part in the decision. Certainly I couldn't have afforded it, and I don't feel I would have done the best job as an educator/teacher.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:54 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Ani wrote:Like I’ve said before it’s clear my opinions aren’t welcome here.

No, of course they are not, and you know that because it is posted in the rules. I have opinions that aren't welcome here either so I keep them zipped up in my pretty little head so that I can enjoy all the aspects of this great forum. You apparently need to decide if the camaraderie here is worth the effort of controlling yourself. Ignoring this last post, which was just frankly mean, I don't think you realize how many times your theories have stepped on my toes or classed me and my family as something that we are not. And I don't mean in relation to homeschooling.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:26 pm

Ani wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Ani wrote:Like I’ve said before it’s clear my opinions aren’t welcome here.

No, of course they are not, and you know that because it is posted in the rules. I have opinions that aren't welcome here either so I keep them zipped up in my pretty little head so that I can enjoy all the aspects of this great forum. You apparently need to decide if the camaraderie here is worth the effort of controlling yourself. Ignoring this last post, which was just frankly mean, I don't think you realize how many times your theories have stepped on my toes or classed me and my family as something that we are not. And I don't mean in relation to homeschooling.

I apologise Ani. I never directly deliberately targeted you and your family. I make generalised statements like I did re: robots and people feel directly targeted while am criticising the system not individuals. I also apologise to tastyonions (I never accused you of being a robot), but Ibdid get a bit mean with you too.

Sometimes our egos or fear of how we might be portrayed gets in the way of a willingness to question things or hear things we don’t like the sound of or where or who it is coming from. I defended myself as I felt you were pretty much calling me a nutter when I felt I was providing very valid reasons for homeschooling, hence my ego striking back with a degree of meanness, that time clearly in your direction, Ani.

As crazy as my reasons might appear to some, they are valid. I also don’t need a police force here telling me what to say and not to say. Granted, my views are exteme opinions at times, but it is not fair if I only get to express publicly acceptable views. It’s much easier for those who hold views which are much more publicly acceptable and in line with current trends of acceptable public opinion and don’t implicate government. And frankly I’m disgusted with the whole PC movement, so I have a tendency to want to open my mouth when its not welcome.

I apologise for offending you and I’ll do my very best to not do so in future, but I remind you that I’ve never targeted you or your family in particular (ex. that last post) and that ironically the vast majority of my views are expressed out of a desire to not see the human race lose their rights, freedoms, health and well being, and be brainwashed into submission. Still I was mean, so I do apologise to you and tastyonions.
4 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:21 am

Wow, that escalated quickly. :oops: :? :lol: My apologies if I contributed.

I would actually be surprised if many homeschooling families weren't suspicious of the government. I know in Idaho Christian circles, they feel that their worldview doesn't match that of secular society, so homeschooling works for them. As the daughter of a prepper, I don't think conspiracy theorists are the small minority they used to be.

Another contributor to homeschooling in my life was the fact that I had packed up and moved 9 times between ages 4 months to 18 years. I don't know how military families switch school systems all of the time, but that certainly would have been a hassle in my family. Moving was traumatizing enough: can you image changing school systems each time?

Edit: grammar.
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”