Homeschoolers united!

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Homeschoolers united!

Postby Ani » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Whodathunkitz wrote:And as I've looked into it, I've gone from NO! to hmmm... moving to probably.

Homeschooling at age 6 is absolutely marvelous. It's a hard job and harder as the children get older, but those first few years K-3rd grade in the US (ages 5-9) are the easiest and most fun. I really believe anyone with even a slight interest at this age should give it a try.

Hours aren't the most important thing for a 6 year old. Learning to sit for at least an hour a day can have good value, but it's totally fine to follow your child's lead. A child who is already on our above grade level for the critical subjects (math, reading, writing) can spend more time on interests than a child who struggles a bit more and needs more time to work on foundations.

I do think a math curriculum is essential, but everything else is easy to do organically at this age, especially if your child is already reading and writing a bit.

For how the kids act during homeschooling... They are just themselves. Every kid is different.
6 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

IronMike
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
Current: Russian (2+L/2+R on DLPT5 & 2+S on OPI in 2019)
Maintaining: Esperanto (C1 on the KER skriba exam, 2017)
Lapsed: BCS (2S/3L/2+R once upon a time...not that now!) and Italian (1L/2R on DLPT IV in 2019)
Future: BCS, Old English.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:16 pm

We've had kids who were sitters and those who had ants in their pants, esp. at those ages (5-8 or 9-ish). For all of them, no sort of official schedule ever worked. It was mostly what mom decided they needed to work on. If they were getting frustrated in one subject, she'd move on to another.

Through all the elementary/middle school years, our homeschooling was done at about 5 hours per day.

Good luck! Make sure you're good with the law. The HSLDA here in the States keeps an eye (and supports) on homeschooling laws outside the U.S. They've got a page for the UK here.
3 x
My 2020 Polyglot Fitness Challenge!

366 Challenge : 31 / 366

EmGeeFab
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (advanced), Hebrew (early intermediate), Spanish (beginner)

Postby EmGeeFab » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:01 am

Hi all, I'm a homeschooler with five kids. My oldest (14) is going to high school this year, but the other four are at home, in grades 7, 5, 2, and not-yet-academic.

At various times I've taught my kids German by speaking it, but since I'm fluent-not-native, and don't get much input, that can get exhausting at times. The result is that they understand too much to find any German course interesting and too little to actually speak. But we've spent this summer in a non-English-speaking country and now they are really excited to learn German. I've even caught them speaking it in secret! Imagine my surprise when my 10-year-old told my 3-year-old to "come" in Hebrew and she answered, "Ich komme nach!"

My oldest has been self-teaching Spanish since October, and it looks like he might place into 3rd year Spanish at the accelerated/gifted high school he plans to attend this coming year. I'm not sure if that says something about him or about how poorly languages are taught in the USA. He was the most capable in German, but was never able to use it because the German speakers he met always spoke English better than he spoke German, so he was really passionate about learning a language that he could use easily in our home town.

I personally have been learning Hebrew this last year, so if nothing else, I'm setting a good example. :lol: But I finally found a good language learning routine with my 12- and 10-year-olds this spring. The goal for fall is to establish good language learning routines with the 7- and 3-year-olds and to get enough input in German that we can use it during at least part of the day.

Emily
6 x

Elsa Maria
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (intermediate). Currently working on Danish, Dutch, Latin and European Portuguese.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:44 pm

EmGeeFab, it sounds like you have been able to offer your kids some great opportunities through homeschooling.

It feels so weird to not be lining up my homeschool plans for next year. But dorm shopping is rather fun, lol. And I'm putting all that planning experience into putting my own study plans together - it is just second nature at this point!

I'm super happy with the way our homeschooling journey wrapped up. I think my son is well prepared for moving away to college, both academically and socially. He did great in some tough dual enrollment classes (*), and he also did very well on his placement tests.

* Dual enrollment = taking college classes while in high school
2 x
Corrections are always welcome.

David1917
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Persian, German, French, Old English, Hindi, Arabic, Cornish

Postby David1917 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:32 pm

Double Post:

I recently posted this vid in the Prof Arguelles Youtube thread, however it is also of interest here, since it is an interview with his son Ardaschir regarding homeschooling. Ron Paul, creator of the curriculum the Arguelles family used, conducts the interview.

Enjoy

3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”