What programs, books, learning materials?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
JayR9

What programs, books, learning materials?

Postby JayR9 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:59 pm

Hi, I'm trying to learn myself mandarin and just wondering what do people think are the best program's to buy and what books or other learning material to get?

I am using pimsleur and Michel Thomas whilst at work but want something more. I feel using textbooks or workbooks might help.

There are so many things I can buy to use but I don't want to waste my money on things off eBay that might be just copied off the internet.

Are teach yourself any good? Which ones as on eBay there is loads of different ones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: What program's, books, learning materials?

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:30 am

Pimsleur and Michel Thomas is a start.

Ari’s Chinesepod method is worth having a look at. It was a while since I used Chinesepod - maybe it has changed since then and since Ari described his method. Luckily, he's active on this forum as well, so hopefully you'll get a reply from him.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:18 am

I have not studied Mandarin. Nonetheless, for reasons that I can no longer recall, it seems that I saved the attached HTLAL Discussion Thread LINK in my Favorites File Folder: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39104
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:42 am

JayR9 wrote:Hi, I'm trying to learn myself mandarin and just wondering what do people think are the best program's to buy and what books or other learning material to get?

I am using pimsleur and Michel Thomas whilst at work but want something more. I feel using textbooks or workbooks might help.

There are so many things I can buy to use but I don't want to waste my money on things off eBay that might be just copied off the internet.

Are teach yourself any good? Which ones as on eBay there is loads of different ones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

I'm currently learning Mandarin, and I've a lot of online resource links you might want to look at in my log. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=695

I list a lot of the online resources. For textbook I've have two or three, but the best one I have is Chinese for Today from Beijing Languages Institute.
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

JayR9

Re: What programs, books, learning materials?

Postby JayR9 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:11 pm

Hello,

Thank you very much for your link. I will definitely take a look.

Thank you
0 x

Ari
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (native), English (loads), French (much), Spanish (much), Cantonese (fair), Mandarin (fair), Portuguese (a lot), German (mostly passive), Italian (mostly passive), Japanese (beginner).

Postby Ari » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:37 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Pimsleur and Michel Thomas is a start.

Ari’s Chinesepod method is worth having a look at. It was a while since I used Chinesepod - maybe it has changed since then and since Ari described his method. Luckily, he's active on this forum as well, so hopefully you'll get a reply from him.

I don't have much to add. I haven't used ChinesePod in a long time, but assuming the original lessons are still available, I would claim it the best language learning resource I have ever had the pleasure of using. I would wholeheartedly recommend it, even in preference to Assimil, which is otherwise always my go-to source for any language.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”