What is the best way to approach Listening-Reading without native language text?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
orangamrk

What is the best way to approach Listening-Reading without native language text?

Postby orangamrk » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:45 am

I've been looking for weeks and finally found an audio book in my target language. It might be the only one I'll ever have access to. I also have the accompanying text, but no translation exists in English.

My reading ability has been progressing nicely, but my listening skills are terrible, so I really want to make the best possible use of this resource.

I'm an advanced beginner trying very hard to break into the intermediate stage.
0 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Re: What is the best way to approach Listening-Reading without native language text?

Postby Rotasu » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:48 am

If you are working on your listening, why do you need English translation? Just listen and read along
1 x
Gone

orangamrk

Re: What is the best way to approach Listening-Reading without native language text?

Postby orangamrk » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:13 am

I'm just checking if any of the more experienced language learners have any tips. Most of the guidance for L/R is for people using bilingual texts.
1 x

Star1
White Belt

Postby Star1 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:08 pm

What language are you trying to learn? There are audiobooks and translations everywhere, you just need to know where to look.
0 x

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:54 pm

See if you can get it on a kindle or something with a pop up translator. Then read it once looking up unknown words. Then listen/read a few times. I'm sure if you mentioned what language you are looking for some people on this forum would be able to direct you to more resources. Also, have you checked the Bible? Even if you are not a Bible reader it could serve as a good learning resource and has been translated into tons of languages and there are hundreds of languages with audio books.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:07 pm

You should be able to fill in your profile with information about your target language by now. Maybe the members of this forum can advise you about other e- and audiobooks in that language when they see what it is.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”